Beginner

hamza612

I want to start learning how to program. But I dont know where to
start. From what I've heard so far c++ is not a good lang. to learn
as a beginner because its very complicated compared to others like
python, ruby etc.
I would like to know if there is a prerequisite to learning any
computer language, is there something I have to learn before learning
any computer language, like a basic or core?

Erik Wikström

I want to start learning how to program. But I dont know where to
start. From what I've heard so far c++ is not a good lang. to learn
as a beginner because its very complicated compared to others like
python, ruby etc.

While C++ might be more complicated that some other languages that does
not make it a worse language to learn programming with. Actually I would
argue the opposite, since C++ is quite complex you need to think about
stuff that some other languages do for you. Another good point of C++ is
that you don't have to pay for things that you do not use, which means
you can start by learning a sub-set of the language and learn the more
advanced parts later (if ever).
I would like to know if there is a prerequisite to learning any
computer language, is there something I have to learn before learning
any computer language, like a basic or core?

While there are no things that you *have* to know before you start
programming there are some things that will help: a basic understanding
of how computers work, some knowledge of discrete mathematics and logic,
and being accustomed to working with computers.

Gits

While C++ might be more complicated that some other languages that does
not make it a worse language to learn programming with. Actually I would
argue the opposite, since C++ is quite complex you need to think about
stuff that some other languages do for you. Another good point of C++ is
that you don't have to pay for things that you do not use, which means
you can start by learning a sub-set of the language and learn the more
advanced parts later (if ever).

While there are no things that you *have* to know before you start
programming there are some things that will help: a basic understanding
of how computers work, some knowledge of discrete mathematics and logic,
 and being accustomed to working with computers.

Thanks, do you know any good books or sites for beginner?

Rafael Anschau

Concrete Mathematics and the Art of Computer Programming, both by
Knuth. Introductory books
on algorithms, however, should make up for a lighter reading(Knuth´s
books are heavy on math, which maybe to heavy to some).

Rafael

acehreli

I want to start learning how to program. But I dont know where to
start. From what I've heard so far c++ is not a good lang. to learn
as a beginner because its very complicated compared to others like
python, ruby etc.

I would agree that C++ is very complicated. Though there is Francis
Glassborow's book "You Can Do It!" that claims to be exactly what you
are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Begin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210465155&sr=1-1

Since fun is probably your biggest motivation at this point, if Python
or Ruby is more fun, I would go with one of those. Check the book
review section of the ACCU for other book recommendations:

http://accu.org/index.php/book_reviews

Ali

asm23

Gits said:
Thanks, do you know any good books or sites for beginner?
<<C++ primer>> <<Thinking in C++>>( free pdf on author's website.)
<<C++ language programming>> by Bjarne Stroustrup ( c++ creator)

Erik Wikström

<<C++ primer>> <<Thinking in C++>>( free pdf on author's website.)
<<C++ language programming>> by Bjarne Stroustrup ( c++ creator)

The C++ Programming Language might be a bit heavy for a beginner.
Another good introductory book is "Accelerated C++".

Bo Schwarzstein

<<C++ Primer>> from Stan Lippman is a very good book for beginner.
Prepare a good IDE on your platform, Visual Studio Express on Windows
or Eclipse on LINUX, then you can begin.

In fact I think C++ is a very powerful language, it's too perfect to
meet its all feature. Maybe you should learn some script language such
as lua, python, perl, ruby then you can combine them together by using
SWIG.

Data structure, algrothim, design pattern, compiler, computer arch,
operation system etc., maybe you will learn for several years.

asm23

Bo said:
<<C++ Primer>> from Stan Lippman is a very good book for beginner.
Prepare a good IDE on your platform, Visual Studio Express on Windows
or Eclipse on LINUX, then you can begin.

In fact I think C++ is a very powerful language, it's too perfect to
meet its all feature. Maybe you should learn some script language such
as lua, python, perl, ruby then you can combine them together by using
SWIG.

Data structure, algrothim, design pattern, compiler, computer arch,
operation system etc., maybe you will learn for several years.
Yes, I'm quite agree with you, I have bought the <<C++ primer>> book,
it's too big for beginners because it has many pages ( I only use it as
a dictionary), instead, I suggest Lippman's another book <<Essential
C++>>, it's a lite version and is better for beginners.

Gits

Thanks for all your responses, I'll go to my local borders or b&n
store and check these books. But I've decided to take some
programming classes.

andrew.smith.cpp

the Best Book for the Beginner is :)
"C++ Primer 4 E "
By Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo
its so Simple Book