Best 3d graphics kit for CAD program???

rantingrick

I want to build a 3D CAD visualization program with Python. Now before
you say this is not possible with Python here me out :)

I know OpenGL is probably my best bet BUT i want something a little
higher level than that. I am not ready for OpenGL yet. I would like a
kit that is just above OpenGL and abstracts away all the finer
details, but not too much higher. VPython is a great kit but it is way
too high level for what i want. Here is a list of kits i am currently
looking at so if anybody can offer suggestions i would very much like
the information. Most of these are dedicated game engines but this is
all i can find

Panda 3D
OGRE
Soya 3D
VTK
Cystal Space
CG Kit
SciPy

Thanks Guy's

nick

Gary

Your email client is set to HTML mode and looks terrible for those of us
who prefer plain view. It also appears your client is not properly
sending your message in text/plain encoding.

Gary Herron

Gary

Your email client is set to HTML mode and looks terrible for those of us
who prefer plain view. It also appears your client is not properly
sending your message in text/plain encoding.

Understood. I too prefer text only, but mistakenly hit "HTML only" for
that email. Once sent, though, there was no way to recall and fix it.

Maya ?
Blender ?
I forgot:
pySoy
Intensity

Thanks Stef,
I actually got OpenGL to install(finally) and now i am thinking ?
maybe? i should just go with OpenGL using the wxglcanvas. I have been
also "messing" around with Bender but i think i want a stand alone
application here. I don't know anything about Maya however?

Thanks for the info and feel free to offer more.

TheSeeker

Thanks Stef,
I actually got OpenGL to install(finally) and now i am thinking ?
maybe? i should just go with OpenGL using the wxglcanvas. I have been
also "messing" around with Bender but i think i want a stand alone
application here. I don't know anything about Maya however?

Thanks for the info and feel free to offer more.

Hi,

Have you considered OpenCascade:
http://www.opencascade.org/

Along with its python bindings, it might be a good alternative:
http://www.pythonocc.org/

Just a thought,
Duane

OpenCascade looks promising. I had look at this before a while back
and forgot about it. For now i am taking the OpenGL plunge and I will
see where that takes me...?

Thanks Duane