BJ - Reaping 1 threads for slow workers because of 'shutdown'

dusty

I'm calling Bj from inside a controller in rails.

# controller code
http://pastie.org/239415

Its running a simple script that logs the user to the database.
Obviously this isn't a good candidate for a background job, this is
just something simple I'm using to test.

# bj script code
http://pastie.org/239418

When I shutdown rails, I get a timeout error from mongrel

# log snippet
http://pastie.org/239419

Any ideas why mongrel is holding on to that thread? I am calling
exit_success! at the end of my run action in the bj script, it appears
the script is exiting properly.

I also find it strange that the sessions_controller is referred to in
that backtrace.

Any ideas?

Thanks
dusty doris

dusty

Here is an update. I tried in development vs production and that
didn't make a difference. However, I only saw this behavior on
mongrel. On thin and webrick it would quit quickly.

ara.t.howard

Here is an update. I tried in development vs production and that
didn't make a difference. However, I only saw this behavior on
mongrel. On thin and webrick it would quit quickly.

it's a mongrel bug - mongrel tries to reap threads it does not own.
nothing to do with bj and you can safely ignore.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

fowlduck

it's a mongrel bug - mongrel tries to reap threads it does not own.
nothing to do with bj and you can safely ignore.

But what's the solution to it delaying the shutdown of mongrel?