Building 2.4.2 on OpenBSD 3.8

Dan M

I've been working with python 2.2.3 for the last couple of weeks, but
would like to move up to 2.4. I grabbed the 2.4.2 tarball and attempted to
install, but I get:

gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o Modules/python.c
In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:38,
from Include/pyport.h:116,
from Include/Python.h:55,
from Modules/python.c:3:
/usr/include/sys/event.h:53: error: syntax error before "u_int"
/usr/include/sys/event.h:55: error: syntax error before "u_short"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/src/Python-2.4.2.

immediately upon running "make". I took at look at event.h to see if I
could find and fix the problem, but the error isn't immediately apparent
to me.

Has anyone successfully built 2.4.2 on OpenBSD? If so, how did you do it?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Dan said:
/usr/include/sys/event.h:53: error: syntax error before "u_int"
/usr/include/sys/event.h:55: error: syntax error before "u_short"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/src/Python-2.4.2.

immediately upon running "make". I took at look at event.h to see if I
could find and fix the problem, but the error isn't immediately apparent
to me.

In that case, it would help if you would report what line 53 of event.h
precisely is. Typically, if it says "syntax error before", it means
"immediately, right away before", or "the error actually is *in*
u_int" (the latter indicating that u_int is not defined at that point).

Generating a preprocessor output then helps, seeing whether something
got #define'd in some strange sense, or whether u_int was defined before
use.

Most likely, it is the old BSD bug of not supporting POSIX correctly.
Somebody should really work with the system developers to get this
resolved; it's been several years now that the bug is present.

Regards,
Martin