Building a user-maintainable website

James Hutton

Thanks James :) Tjhat's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

It's made more difficult for me because (a) she only has MS works (!)
and (b) she really is not at all technical - but a very good cellist
btw! and (c) I would ideally use CSS to mark up the content, and it
could be difficult to ensure the CSS class names are in her content,
and that no additional formatting/layout creeps in by accident :)

Regards,
Mark.

Mark,

Works has HTML output options. As it is only a list of dates and times
etc, why not set up a template in Works for her - choose fonts, font
sizes and background colours to suit the original style.

James

Anon

Mamboserver is a very good product, however for simple users it is
quite difficult to use. Also creating a template might be a problem.

There is something that might be an interesting alternative, look at
the following URL for a demonstration of how to provide editable
content:
http://smpc.com.br/inventory/customers/www/demo.htm

This solution is very easy to use, and also very cheap, and you don't
need installation of any specific software (only ASP enabled website).

(contact me via : http://smpc.com.br)

regards, Allie

Miselaineous

Hi,

I am a webdesigner/developer by trade. Whilst my day job involves
working for a software company, I also create sites for people from
time to time.

My biggest dilema at the moment is how to create a site that the
non-technical end-user can maintain.

<snippy snip>

I just finished doing the same research for a client who only needs to
update a segment of a page on her site with upcoming events and such.
I didn't want to install a 5MB blog package, and she's profoundly
tech-phobic and running an ancient Mac, so I didn't want to try
teaching her the "upload the file that I'm including in this page"
method.

Here's the one I settled on. It's LAMP freeware, not MS/ASP -- just in
case you make the move....

qlitenews
http://www.r2xdesign.net/phpscripts/p1.html

you might need to do some tidying up, code-wise. (I did.)
http://secunia.com/advisories/19476/

-Miselaineous