c++ classic books, must have books ?

Howie

Hi,

i have just read a lot in "Large-Scale C++ Software Design" from John
Lakos.

This is an absolute great usefull book for everyone in a project team,
and now i am worry about:
Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

Thanks,

Howie

Peter van Merkerk

i have just read a lot in "Large-Scale C++ Software Design" from John
Lakos.

This is an absolute great usefull book for everyone in a project team,
and now i am worry about:
Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

It depends on what your goals are, if it involves learning C++ beyond
the absolute beginner level your team should at least read a a couple of
the books listed below:

The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition, Bjarne Stroustrup.
Effective C++, Scott Meyers
More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
The C++ Standard Library, Nicolai M. Josuttis
C++ Templates, David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis

Gabriel Schreiber

Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

I might want to add:
Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"

It is about templates, SmartPointers, Memory Management, Factories,
Functors and some other stuff, but mainly it is about templates.
Advanced reading, but helped me a lot.

Gabriel

Pat McCormack

As well as those mentioned;
If you are into design of large scale systems I'd recommend the gang of
four's "Design Patterns"
Also Multi-Paradigm design in C++
Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++"

On the development process Steve McConnell's "Rapid Development" is
excellent IMHO . I've seen every mistake he mentions several times in the
past 27 years of programming (I shan't mention how many were down to me) :)

Pat

Peter van Merkerk

Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?
I might want to add:
Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"

It is about templates, SmartPointers, Memory Management, Factories,
Functors and some other stuff, but mainly it is about templates.
Advanced reading, but helped me a lot.

That book was an eye opener for me. Unfortunately I have to work with
compilers that have problems digesting the advanced template tricks
discussed in that book. So for me its practical usefulness is very
limited at the moment, hopefully this will change for thew better soon.
It is also the kind book I'd like to keep away from beginners as it may
discourage them from learning C++.

Howie

Thanks all for your opinion

This is the collected list:

The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition, Bjarne Stroustrup.
Effective C++, Scott Meyers
More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
The C++ Standard Library, Nicolai M. Josuttis
C++ Templates, David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis
Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"
the gang of four's "Design Patterns"
Multi-Paradigm design in C++
Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++"
Steve McConnell's "Rapid Development"