C++ design and open source projects.

Jim

Hello,
I've become an ok C++ programmer in terms of syntax, but never had
cause to program anything large, and I think my designs suffer from
being self-taught, just get it working etc. I was wondering if any of
you know of any resources, books, websites, etc, that you would
recommend.

I'm also interested in joining an active open-source C++ project,
preferably networking related, if anyone can recommend one of those as
well.

Thanks,
Jim

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Jim said:
Hello,
I've become an ok C++ programmer in terms of syntax, but never had
cause to program anything large, and I think my designs suffer from
being self-taught, just get it working etc. I was wondering if any of
you know of any resources, books, websites, etc, that you would
recommend.

These are orthogonal skills mainly. Study a few good OO design books,
including "Design Patterns" from the Gang of Four.

And I would also advise SICP:

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-4.html
http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

Note that this is not a book about scheme, it just happen to use it
for the examples and exercises, but they're translated in several
other programming languages, including C++:

http://www.codepoetics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Topics:SICP_in_other_languages