C GUI programming

Kenny McCormack

Please don't feed the troll.

It really scares you, doesn't it?
That people might actually pay attention to what I write and you might
lose control of the ng.

Believe me, I have no desire to gag any of you "regulars". You show
your true colors every time you (metaphorically) open your mouths.

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield a écrit :
[Non-ASCII codes removed]

jacob navia said:

Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snipped]

Dictionary.com

pedant? /pdnt/

Please don't post non-ASCII characters to Usenet.

Anyway, thanks for calling me a pedant. I view it as a compliment, although
it is typically intended as an insult, typically directed at those who know
what they're talking about by those who don't.

?noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

Your example code didn't compile, and your explanation about function
parameters was broken. What would you call a person who makes an excessive
or inappropriate display of ignorance?

Yes, I missed a semicolon.

GREAT HEATHFIELD, GREAT. A missing semicolon is all is needed
to qualify the 380 pages as a pile of shit.

And this is a TUTORIAL, not a treatise for everything
about C. So, you read the first 15 pages and you want
me to introduce all pedantic distinctions to really
CONFUSE everybody.

You say:
> The tutorial also claims "this is not a full-fledged introduction"
and that there are "other, better books"

but this does not mean that
"Even the author doesn't have a lot of faith in it"
as you misunderstand,

it means just that I am not like other people that are
convinced that their work IS THE ONLY AND BEST POSSIBLE OF ALL.

No.

I know that are other people better than me that wrote better books than
what I did.

Your argument that I do not understand the difference between
parameters and arguments is NONSENSE Heathfield.

I cite the "wikipedia"

< quote >
Many programmers use parameter and argument interchangeably, depending
on context to distinguish the meaning. In practice, distinguishing
between the two terms is usually unnecessary in order to use them
correctly or communicate their use to other programmers.
< end quote >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameter_(computer_science)

And you want me that I go into those PEDANTIC DETAILS at page 15
of the tutorial (what actually is page 5, excluding title, contents
etc).

Kenny McCormack

Richard said:
[valid criticism]

jacob navia said:
[calls Richard a pedant]

The proper response to valid criticisms of one's writing is to
fix them, not to call the critic names (whether they are true or
false).

But, but, but. Heathfield took it as a *compliment*, so it can hardly
be referred to as "calling [the critic] names".

Besides which, as you well know, Jacob (and I and any other sane person)
takes excception to your use of the word "valid". Something about a
"parallel universe"...

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:
Richard Heathfield a écrit :
[Non-ASCII codes removed]

jacob navia said:
?noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of
learning.

Your example code didn't compile, and your explanation about function
parameters was broken. What would you call a person who makes an
excessive or inappropriate display of ignorance?

Yes, I missed a semicolon.

Yup. In tutorial code, that's not good. I suggest compiling the code in
future.
GREAT HEATHFIELD, GREAT. A missing semicolon is all is needed
to qualify the 380 pages as a pile of shit.

You appear to have missed my other crits, and my explicit statement that I
had only read the first few pages.

I cite the "wikipedia"

The Wikipedia is not normative.

Malcolm

Kenny McCormack said:
Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snipped]

Dictionary.com

pedâ?§antâ?, /Ë^pÉ>dnt/
â?"noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to
common sense.

Useful clc-related links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

And keep in mind that Heathfield:

a) Considers "pedant" to be a compliment
and b) Considers "Aspergers" to be an insult

Neither is remotely correct. What a marooon!
A compiler gives the superficial impression of being like a human. We even
use the term "language" to describe the way we communicate with it.
Unfortunately we don't even know how to set about building a compiler with
anything remotely resembling real language. One that could understand this
post, for instance. So the programmer does have to adopt a computer-like
personality if he wishes his programs to be correct.

This includes things such as
"He claims on page 18 that "the fn2 function will always return 7", whereas
the truth is that the fn2 function will not compile, because it's missing a
rather important syntactical element."

Sadly, if you miss off a semicolon, or replace it with a colon, the
compiler won't be clever enough to make the correction.

However there can be a problem with a pedagogy. Often it is better to skate
over minor details, such as the fact that printf() doesn't always write to
the screen, in the initial stages. People who are highly knowledgeable in
the subject, but not teachers, often don't appreciate this.

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield a écrit :
jacob navia said:

Richard Heathfield a écrit :
[Non-ASCII codes removed]

jacob navia said:

?noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of
learning.

Your example code didn't compile, and your explanation about function
parameters was broken. What would you call a person who makes an
excessive or inappropriate display of ignorance?

Yes, I missed a semicolon.

Yup. In tutorial code, that's not good. I suggest compiling the code in
future.

Yeah, thanks. You missed the bibliography too, the first entry.
You are one of the people that write better books heathfield.

It is a pity that you are so pedantic.

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:

You are one of the people that write better books heathfield.

It is a pity that you are so pedantic.

If you take away the cause, you lose the effect.

Dave Vandervies

Malcolm said:
Do you have a Microsoft compiler?

Write a minimal Windows program,
This can all be done in C. You call calling non-ANSI libraries, and there is
quirk about the entry point, but it still very much a C program.

It's a perfectly valid program for a freestanding C implementation.
The entire C standard library is even available, and most of it[1] works
as advertised, which is rather more than is required of a freestanding
implementation.

(I'll leave it to others to refer to the precise definition of what
makes an implementation freestanding and draw the obvious conclusion
about the platform it's running on.)

dave

[1] The obvious exceptions being the parts that involve stdin, stdout,
and stderr