C GUI programming

Jakle

I have been googling, but can seem to find out about C GUI libraries.

My main platform is Windows, but it would be nice to find a cross platform
library.

I've been programming with php, which has a C/C++ syntax structure, but want
to move on to compliled languages.

I was all ready to go with C++ and wxWindows, but I'm applying for an entry
level programming possition. They use their own propriatary language, with
is a structured/proceedural language. I thought that if I study C, it would
make me a better programmer for my employer.

I also have the "Algorithms with C", and "Code Reading" books, that focus
mainly on the C language. I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard for me to change
my thinking and implement both books into a C++ sense.

The main thing is, I love programming in general, but I'd like to be able to
code GUI's also.

Can anyone give me a direction to head in, where I can learn more about GUI
programming in C. Idealy, I'd love to start my compiled language studies
with C, then move on to C++ once I have a solid foundation in
structured/proceedural programming.

Walter Roberson

I have been googling, but can seem to find out about C GUI libraries.
My main platform is Windows, but it would be nice to find a cross platform
library.

The C language itself does not define anything to do with Graphics.
Try another newsgroup; perhaps some of the comp.graphics.* ones
such as comp.graphics.misc

jacob navia

Jakle said:
[...]

Look, download the tutorial in
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

together with the associated compiler system.

There you will find a step by step introduction to
the C language and windows C programming.

No, it is not something that will allow you to
program under Unix or under Mac, it is only windows.

Read specially Chapter 2: "windows programming". Of course
after being current with chapter 1, "C programming".

All of this is free of charge.

jacob

Elijah Cardon

Walter said:
The C language itself does not define anything to do with Graphics.
Try another newsgroup; perhaps some of the comp.graphics.* ones
such as comp.graphics.misc
Depending on what you're running, you might just want to jump on the MS
wagon with MFC, see microsoft.public.vc.mfc . If you're broke coming
out of college, they have a visual studio for hobbyists and such, so you
don't have to cough up a lot of money from the getgo, although this
suite deals with Winforms and does not support MFC. I'm not sure that
the C programming language admits that monitors exist. EC
*******************
--adapted from John Lennon

kondal

My main platform is Windows, but it would be nice to find a cross platform
library.

It looks like you want to do GUI programming in Windows.
I've been programming with php, which has a C/C++ syntax structure, but want
to move on to compliled languages.

yep, php and almost all the languages have similar semantics and only
the syntax and layout of the program will be different along with other
features such as oop.
I was all ready to go with C++ and wxWindows, but I'm applying for an entry
level programming possition. They use their own propriatary language, with
is a structured/proceedural language. I thought that if I study C, it would
make me a better programmer for my employer.

GUI programming by definition goes for event driven programming. So you
need to come out of the proceedural programming concept.

Once you are good in C programming, it would be easy to migrate to
event driven programming
I also have the "Algorithms with C", and "Code Reading" books, that focus
mainly on the C language. I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard for me to change
my thinking and implement both books into a C++ sense.

Good books...
The main thing is, I love programming in general, but I'd like to be able to
code GUI's also.
Can anyone give me a direction to head in, where I can learn more about GUI
programming in C. Idealy, I'd love to start my compiled language studies
with C, then move on to C++ once I have a solid foundation in
structured/proceedural programming.

you can use win32 for GUI programming. It seems complicated at first,
but it is rather simple once you get the concept. You can create GUI
programs entirely in C language no C++ knowledge is required. But first
you need to get good grip in C language programming.

You can post your win32 programming questions in win32 forums.

Good Luck...

Keith Thompson

Elijah Cardon said:
Depending on what you're running, you might just want to jump on the
MS wagon with MFC, see microsoft.public.vc.mfc .
[snip]

MFC is cross-platform?

Richard Heathfield

Keith Thompson said:

A three-wheeled wagon that has been all but abandoned by its owner.
see microsoft.public.vc.mfc .
[snip]

MFC is cross-platform?

MFC is C?

Mark McIntyre

Depending on what you're running, you might just want to jump on the MS
wagon with MFC, see microsoft.public.vc.mfc .

Not especially crossplatform though....
If you're broke coming
out of college, they have a visual studio for hobbyists and such,

There are also plenty of free or shareware GUI and graphics libraries.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Christopher Benson-Manica

Elijah Cardon said:
Depending on what you're running, you might just want to jump on the MS
wagon with MFC, see microsoft.public.vc.mfc.

As long as we're dispensing OT advice, MFC is a poor choice for
someone looking for a career skill. It's true that there is still a
lot of MFC code out there that needs maintenance, but only because the
resources to rewrite such code to use modern, fully-supported
languages and libraries do not exist. .NET languages, whatever their
other flaws, are supported on Windows platforms and are gaining
popularity; OP may do much better to examine the .NET option if it is
financialy viable. Java may (may) also be something for OP to look
at.
I'm not sure that
the C programming language admits that monitors exist. EC

The C programming language admits the existence of very few things,
and monitors are not one of them.

Malcolm

Jakle said:
[...]

Do you have a Microsoft compiler?

Write a minimal Windows program, and then you are away. Start with one
window and draw pixels to it individually. Then as you grow in confidence
add text, buttons, menus, edit windows. With that you've got a basic but
functional GUI which will serve for all but the most elaborate of
applications.

This can all be done in C. You call calling non-ANSI libraries, and there is
quirk about the entry point, but it still very much a C program.

Elijah Cardon

Keith said:
Elijah Cardon said:
Depending on what you're running, you might just want to jump on the
MS wagon with MFC, see microsoft.public.vc.mfc .
[snip]

MFC is cross-platform?
Of course not. MFC has been a huge workhorse for a couple decades on
the most influential OS, an OS that puts bread on a lot of tables. And
one could (present, subjunctive) figure out easy ways for a C module to
talk to it. But that won't pop up here, on Gilligan's Island, lacking
Ginger, MaryAnn, and--it's an island--Mrs. Howell. Rather than talk
about graphics, about which I care nothing, I would rather talk about
largish numbers, combinatorial-sized. Elijah

Richard Heathfield

Une bévue said:
the link to the "C-tutorial" is broken.

The correct URL is guessable. However, I'm not going to advertise it, since
this tutorial needs to be buried as deeply as possible.

Even the author doesn't have a lot of faith in it, since he says that this
tutorial to the C language "supposes that you have the lcc-win32 compiler
system installed", so it's presumably not an intro to standard C at all,
but an intro to "Navia C", as we might call it.

The tutorial also claims "this is not a full-fledged introduction" and that
there are "other, better books".

It also claims that "Dennis Ritchie wrote the preprocessor of the lcc-win32
system". This seems disingenuous. It would probably be clearer to say that
Dennis Ritchie wrote an open source preprocessor, which lcc-win32 uses.

The first example program incorporates line numbers, with no indication as
far as I can see that they are not an integral part of the program. Despite
its claim to be "the famous example given already by the authors of the
language", it is not.

On page 15 (of 398) Mr Navia claims that printf "formats its arguments in a
character string that is displayed in the screen". This is a more serious
mistake with the tutorial, since it is erroneous in at least two respects.
In the same paragraph, he claims that character strings "are enclosed in
double quotes", which is simply not true except for string literals.

On page 17, we learn Jacob doesn't appear to understand the difference
between parameters and arguments. In fact, his explanation of arguments is
completely broken. He also thinks that "the function ... will use only a
copy, not the original value", which is wrong, of course. The very same
value that is passed to the function as an argument is received as a
parameter by the function.

He claims on page 18 that "the fn2 function will always return 7", whereas
the truth is that the fn2 function will not compile, because it's missing a
rather important syntactical element.

And so on, and so on. Life's too short to plough through all 398 pages, if
this is the kind of "quality" we can expect in the other 380 or so. I
suggest you look elsewhere for your C tutorial. A list of two good on-line
tutorials can be found at:

http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php#WebTutorials

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snipped]

Dictionary.com

ped‧ant  /ˈpɛdnt/
–noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to
common sense.

Richard Heathfield

[Non-ASCII codes removed]

jacob navia said:
Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snipped]

Dictionary.com

pedant? /pdnt/

Please don't post non-ASCII characters to Usenet.

Anyway, thanks for calling me a pedant. I view it as a compliment, although
it is typically intended as an insult, typically directed at those who know
what they're talking about by those who don't.
?noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

Your example code didn't compile, and your explanation about function
parameters was broken. What would you call a person who makes an excessive
or inappropriate display of ignorance?

Kenny McCormack

Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snipped]

Dictionary.com

ped‧ant  /ˈpɛdnt/
–noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to
common sense.

Useful clc-related links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

And keep in mind that Heathfield:

a) Considers "pedant" to be a compliment
and b) Considers "Aspergers" to be an insult

Neither is remotely correct. What a marooon!

Richard Heathfield

Kenny McCormack said:

And keep in mind that Heathfield:

a) Considers "pedant" to be a compliment
True.

and b) Considers "Aspergers" to be an insult

False. It is, however, misused by some people to describe those who are
brighter than them.