C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw won't start

Anthra Norell

Hi,

I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and am unable to start an 2.5 idle window.

This is the command I have been using:
C:\Python24\pythonw.exe C:\Python24\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
execfile('C:\\Python24\\i')

And this is the command that doesn't start anything:
C:\Python25\pythonw.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
execfile('C:\\Python25\\i')

The command is exactly the same with the digit 5 in the place of 4. All
paths and names are correct. C:\\Python25\\i sets up sys.path but seems
irrelevant, as taking the execfile () part out doesn't change anything.
The OS is Windows ME. The download of 2.5 finished with a warning saying
that 2.5 was the highest version for Windows 9* Any tips?

Thanks

Frederic

Alf P. Steinbach

* Anthra Norell:
Hi,

I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and am unable to start an 2.5 idle window.

This is the command I have been using:
C:\Python24\pythonw.exe C:\Python24\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
execfile('C:\\Python24\\i')

And this is the command that doesn't start anything:
C:\Python25\pythonw.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
execfile('C:\\Python25\\i')

The command is exactly the same with the digit 5 in the place of 4. All
paths and names are correct. C:\\Python25\\i sets up sys.path but seems
irrelevant, as taking the execfile () part out doesn't change anything.
The OS is Windows ME. The download of 2.5 finished with a warning saying
that 2.5 was the highest version for Windows 9* Any tips?

Don't know, but the '-n' option, is that passed to IDLE?

Perhaps try removing that.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Anthra Norell

Thank you both (Alf and Duncan) for your comments. I answer Duncan's
questions interleaved:

Duncan said:
Does 'unable to start a 2.5 idle window' mean you get some sort of error
or simply that nothing happens?
Nothing happens and no error message shows. The disk head stepper makes
a brief attempt at something then goes silent and that's it.
What happens if you simply run C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.bat
Does that work or not?
Same thing: Nothing happens
What about running this from a command prompt:

C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.py
Same thing: Nothing!
Does that run idle or do you get any error messages?
What about this?

C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw

Nothing!
Using pythonw.exe will start the program with all error output dumped in
the bit bucket. Running from a command prompt with python.exe will at
least let you see if there are any errors.
python.exe from the command line works all right in a DOS window. The
problem must be with idle.pyw. I tried the old idle.pyw (2.4) with the
new python.exe. (2.5) and that didn't work either.
What is the bit bucket? If I had a clue, I could go from there. What
puzzles me is that version 2.4 has been working fine and one wouldn't
think that the changes from 2.4 to 2.5 would be so extensive as to cause
a major malfunction. For the time being 2.4 works fine. I'd much prefer
2.5, though, because it includes the image library (PIL), whereas 2.4
cannot even use it.

Frederic

Anthra Norell

Duncan said:
Bit bucket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_bucket

If you are seeing nothing at all when running it with python.exe instead of
pythonw.exe then something bizarre must be happening.

My guess would have been that you had a problem importing something: e.g.
if Tkinter isn't installed properly then running Idle under pythonw.exe
would exit with an error message but you wouldn't see the error message.
However since you don't see an error message when running it with
python.exe it isn't that.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas for now.
No matter. I'll just keep working with 2.4. The machine is on its way
out anyway. I have a brand new Dell Latitude E6500 without an operating
system waiting to be set up with Linux. That'll take some time. Thank
you for your suggestions.

Frederic

Gabriel Genellina

En Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:23:57 -0300, Anthra Norell

I'd suggest a couple more tests.
Open the Python interpreter and execute:

py> from idlelib import idle

This *should* launch IDLE, or raise an error... If nothing happens, exit
the process and open another one, and execute:

py> import Tkinter
py> root = Tkinter.Tk()
py> root.mainloop()

An empty window should appear. If not, I'd say something is wrong with the
Tcl/Tk libraries.
For the time being 2.4 works fine. I'd much prefer 2.5, though, because
it includes the image library (PIL), whereas 2.4 cannot even use it.

PIL has an impressive compatibility record - it works with *any* Python
version from 1.5.2 up. You should be able to use PIL with 2.4 without
problems.

Anthra Norell

Gabriel,
Thanks for your hints. I take them up one by one:

Gabriel said:
En Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:23:57 -0300, Anthra Norell

I'd suggest a couple more tests.
Open the Python interpreter and execute:

py> from idlelib import idle

This *should* launch IDLE, or raise an error...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:/PYTHON25/Lib/IDLELIB\idle.pyw", line 6, in <module>
import PyShell
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named os

If nothing happens, exit
the process and open another one, and execute:

py> import Tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\PYTHON25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 37, in <module>
import FixTk # Attempt to configure Tcl/Tk without requiring PATH
File "C:\PYTHON25\lib\lib-tk\FixTk.py", line 1, in <module>
import sys, os
ImportError: No module named os
py> root = Tkinter.Tk()
py> root.mainloop()

An empty window should appear. If not, I'd say something is wrong with
the
Tcl/Tk libraries.

PIL has an impressive compatibility record - it works with *any* Python
version from 1.5.2 up. You should be able to use PIL with 2.4 without
problems.

Another good hint to a side issue: I should download PIL for P2.4. I
guess it wasn't available back then and so I continued doing images with
P2.2.

The real issue seems to be a missing module "os".

C:\PYTHON25\LIB>dir os.*

Volume in drive C is PKBACK# 001
Volume Serial Number is 07D1-0103
Directory of C:\PYTHON25\Lib

OS PY 25,211 08-03-06 9:27a OS.PY
OS PYC 24,430 06-05-08 6:45p OS.PYC
2 file(s) 49,641 bytes
0 dir(s) 2,635.30 MB free

Here we are! Somehow the name got upper-cased! There's a whole bunch
(131) of upper-cased names in the Lib I shall install the whole thing
from scratch. That should take care if it. Thank you very much.

Frederic (Looking forward to Linux!)

Anthra Norell

Gabriel,
After reinstalling the whole package things are shaping up. It still
doesn't work but it fails more to the point of your suggestions. I
update the responses to your questions:

Anthra said:
Gabriel,
Thanks for your hints. I take them up one by one:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:/PYTHON25/lib/IDLELIB\idle.py", line 19, in <module>
PyShell.main()
File "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\PyShell.py", line 1390, in main
root = Tk(className="Idle")
File "C:\PYTHON25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1647, in __init__
self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
interactive, want
objects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
directories:
C:/PYTHON25/lib/tcl8.4 C:/lib/tcl8.4 C:/library

Checking for the whereabouts of the tcl8.4 directory I find it in
C:/PYTHON25/TCL together with a few more plus some files.

C:\PYTHON25\TCL>dir

Volume in drive C is PKBACK# 001
Volume Serial Number is 07D1-0103
Directory of C:\PYTHON25\TCL

.. <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p .
... <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p ..
TCL84 LIB 191,802 03-27-06 4:23p tcl84.lib
TCLSTU~1 LIB 2,264 03-27-06 4:23p tclstub84.lib
DDE1 2 <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p DDE1.2
REG1 1 <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p REG1.1
TCL8 4 <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p TCL8.4
TK8 4 <DIR> 11-25-08 4:09p TK8.4
TK84 LIB 167,288 03-27-06 4:44p tk84.lib
TKSTUB84 LIB 2,988 03-27-06 4:43p tkstub84.lib
TIX8 4 <DIR> 02-06-10 1:09p tix8.4
4 file(s) 364,342 bytes
7 dir(s) 2,569.25 MB free

This is the way the installer fixed it. The thing to do seems to be to
move the tcl8.4 dirctory to the lib directory. Before I start upsetting
things, perhaps you would know whether the whole TCL subtree should move.

Frederic

Gabriel Genellina

En Sat, 06 Feb 2010 08:21:46 -0300, Anthra Norell
Gabriel,
Thanks for your hints. I take them up one by one:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named os

C:\PYTHON25\LIB>dir os.*

OS PY 25,211 08-03-06 9:27a OS.PY
OS PYC 24,430 06-05-08 6:45p OS.PYC

Here we are! Somehow the name got upper-cased! There's a whole bunch
(131) of upper-cased names in the Lib I shall install the whole thing
from scratch. That should take care if it. Thank you very much.

If you still have problems, try setting the PYTHONCASEOK environment
variable.

C:\temp>python25 -?
Other environment variables:
PYTHONCASEOK : ignore case in 'import' statements (Windows).
Frederic (Looking forward to Linux!)

Or at least a more decent Windows version. ME was a complete failure -
Win98 Second Edition, being older, was better.