    current using VS2005, I was hoping to find something familiar in the look
    and layout.

    Thanks

    Jim Stools, May 15, 2006

  2. Jim Stools

    Alex Whitney Guest

    Alex Whitney, May 16, 2006

  3. Jim Stools

    Atif Guest

    Have you tried Eclipse?
    www.eclipse.org
    I was used to VSC++ before I started Java, and with other IDEs it was
    really awkward (I wasn't familiar with the language either).
    I must say Eclipse was really easy to get used to. It's very
    customizable, so you can make it look *pretty much* like VS because you
    can move around the subwindows. It has alot of neat features that VS
    doesn't have either, like:
    it'll compile it automatically when you save,
    the compiler gives you detailed error messages so you know what you did
    wrong (and it'll give suggestions on what to do!),
    the debugger works great,
    good autocompletion,
    it's good with shortcuts and whatnot, like if you want you can make it
    so that when you type 'cout<<' it'll replace it with
    'System.out.println(" '

    So give it a try, definitely

    Atif, May 16, 2006
  4. Jim Stools

    Jim Stools Guest

    Thanks for good info.

    Jim Stools, May 16, 2006
  5. Jim Stools

    Jim Stools Guest

    Thanks for the info

    Jim Stools, May 16, 2006
  6. Jim Stools

    David Segall Guest

    I have list of comparable IDEs here <http://ide.profectus.com.au>. Of
    these, JBuilder is probably the closest in look and feel to Visual
    Studio. However, I think that others in the list have a brighter
    future than Borland products. My favourites are NetBeans and
    JDeveloper.

    David Segall, May 16, 2006