Can anyone recommend a good IDE

Jim Stools

Is there an IDE for java development that compares well to VS2005? Since I'm
current using VS2005, I was hoping to find something familiar in the look
and layout.

Thanks

Atif

Have you tried Eclipse?
www.eclipse.org
I was used to VSC++ before I started Java, and with other IDEs it was
really awkward (I wasn't familiar with the language either).
I must say Eclipse was really easy to get used to. It's very
customizable, so you can make it look *pretty much* like VS because you
can move around the subwindows. It has alot of neat features that VS
doesn't have either, like:
it'll compile it automatically when you save,
the compiler gives you detailed error messages so you know what you did
wrong (and it'll give suggestions on what to do!),
the debugger works great,
good autocompletion,
it's good with shortcuts and whatnot, like if you want you can make it
so that when you type 'cout<<' it'll replace it with
'System.out.println(" '

So give it a try, definitely

David Segall

Jim Stools said:
Is there an IDE for java development that compares well to VS2005? Since I'm
current using VS2005, I was hoping to find something familiar in the look
and layout.
I have list of comparable IDEs here <http://ide.profectus.com.au>. Of
these, JBuilder is probably the closest in look and feel to Visual
Studio. However, I think that others in the list have a brighter
future than Borland products. My favourites are NetBeans and
JDeveloper.