Can anyone recommend some good books to learn Java programming with?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Zer0 Voltage, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Zer0 Voltage

    Zer0 Voltage Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like to learn Java programming so I can develop cross-platform
    applications (for Windows and Linux at least) and was wondering if
    anyone here would be kind enough to offer some opinions on any good
    "self-learning" books for this.

    Though I've done IT support for many years, I have no programming
    experience. So obviously I need something that starts at the most
    novice level.

    Ideally something that would cover novice through advanced would be
    nice, but I'm open to multiple books at different levels too.

    One program I'd like to develop would use an icon in the Windows system
    tray - so something which also covers Windows OS specifics like that
    would be great.

    Thanks very much for any advice!

    - 0V

    Zer0 Voltage, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Zer0 Voltage

    Roedy Green Guest

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Zer0 Voltage

    black Guest

    try Core Java as many ppl may commended it to u.

    black, Oct 18, 2005
  4. TechBookReport has many reviews of Java titles, as well as a list of
    recommendations for readers with different skill sets. Take a look at
    http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html for the Java book reviews
    and recommendations.

    TechBookReport, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Zer0 Voltage

    Zer0 Voltage Guest

    Thanks very much to those who responded! I appreciate the suggestions
    and reference sites.

    - 0V

    Zer0 Voltage, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Zer0 Voltage