Python programming books

David Keeler

I am relatively new to python. I've been reading online docs and
tutorials for 4-5 weeks now, but I like actual books. I am not new to
programming and I have worked with quite a few languages. I'd like a
good reference with basic stuff including classes and maybe some web
programming, sockets, tkinter, good explanation of classes and all that
OO stuff. I want to work with version 3 since 3.2 was just released. Can
anyone suggest a recent book that might fit the bill? I know what's
available, at least on Amazon but am a little perplexed by the choices
and reviews I've seen. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Regards,
Dave

John Bokma

David Keeler said:
I am relatively new to python. I've been reading online docs and
tutorials for 4-5 weeks now, but I like actual books. I am not new to
programming and I have worked with quite a few languages. I'd like a
good reference with basic stuff including classes and maybe some web
programming, sockets, tkinter, good explanation of classes and all that
OO stuff. I want to work with version 3 since 3.2 was just released. Can
anyone suggest a recent book that might fit the bill?

A book that I can't recommend enough is:

Programming in Python 3. Make sure that you buy the 2nd edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Python-Complete-Introduction-Language/dp/0321680561/

I also own "Dive into Python 3". Haven't read it yet, but I liked "Dive
into Python" a lot, and I am sure that DiP3 is even better. I notice
that Amazon has a "CreateSpace" edition (you can download DiP3 from the
author's website). I own the APress edition.

As for the reviews: Someone gave the 2nd edition of PiP3 3 stars because
(s)he is upset that the 2nd edition came out shortly after the 1st
edition. In general: some reviewers give bad reviews because of Amazon
shipping late, shipping a damaged book, or just because they didn't do
enough research and got the wrong book.

I also like the "Python Essential Reference" a lot.