    situation.

    Is there a way to add such a section to a page?

    Thanks,

    Brian J. Matuschak, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Brian J. Matuschak

    Mike Brind Guest

    You would need to create an input form for the rebuttal comments to be held
    in your admin/private area, and link the rebuttal comment to the ID of the
    original comment.

    I don't know what a "static" ASP page is. An oxymoron, perhaps?

    Mike Brind, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Thanks for the reply, although the specifics in terms of the architecture and
    implementation I can't quite grasp, i.e., the "admin/private area."

    As for my comment about it being "static," there are no server-side
    controls, and the source page could have been rendered in HTML.

    Brian J. Matuschak, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Brian J. Matuschak

    Mike Brind Guest

    Ok. Given your use of the term "server-side control" I think you may well
    have a dotnet page there (ending in .aspx?). If so, you are in the wrong
    group despite the subject line of your thread. This group covers classic
    asp (pages end with .asp) which has no concepts such as server-side
    controls. Dot net is completely different. The main group for asp.net is

    All web pages, regardless of how they are generated are rendered in html.
    Your lack of understanding of this therefore suggests that you are not a
    programmer. This is an observation, not a criticism.

    If this is the case, you will either want to learn some programming (not a
    trivial undertaking) or hire someone who has already learnt. No one in any
    of these groups will write an application for you, but we are happy to help
    you as you learn, if that's what you want to do.

    I hope this helps, but please let me know if I've got the wrong end of any
    sticks here.

    Mike Brind, Oct 25, 2006
  5. A couple of points here:
    1. The page in question has an .asp extension
    2. My primary programming experience is in VB/VBA with some exposure to VB
    ..NET with some server-side controls for a log-in page and SQL Server
    Reporting Services. VBA dialects I've programmed in are Access, Excel,
    Outlook, and ESRI ArcObjects.
    3. I learned HTML in 1996.
    4. My career path has steered me away from classic ASP, although I've had
    to edit existing Web pages, and many moons ago, I did work tutorial projects
    in Visual InterDev.
    5. Right now, I'm multitasking by working the tutorials in "Microsoft
    Visual C# Step by Step."

    Granted, I may not be a strong MS technologies Web programmer, but I think
    you're on the wrong end of the stick here. And I'm just looking for a little
    help here instead of a flame war.

    Brian J. Matuschak, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Brian J. Matuschak

    Mike Brind Guest

    I'm not sure how I could have done more to avoid the suggestion that I want
    to start a flame war in my last post, but obviously I need to review my
    approach.

    I was assuming that the survey responses are submitted by respondents, then
    stored in a database and displayed on a page. If this is the case, I would
    set up another form (password-protected and hidden from Joe Public - hence
    "private/admin area) and use that to submit rebuttals. I would also add a
    "rebuttal" field to the comments table in the database. This is what would
    be populated on submit of the rebuttal form. Then I would change the coding
    on the public page to retrieve the rebuttal field as well.

    However, "static" pages are hard-coded html pages - irrespective of the file
    extension they have. Are you saying that for each survey response there is
    a new hard-coded page created?

    Mike Brind, Oct 26, 2006
  7. Brian J. Matuschak

    Larry Bud Guest

    Reading your other responses, you need to CREATE a login section for
    your side of the business. Then you (i.e. "admin") will pull up the
    customer response, and you need to create a form so that you can enter
    your rebuttal and link it back to the cusomter response.

    The Rebuttal form for entering this text is a completely separate page
    than where the result is displayed.

    Larry Bud, Oct 26, 2006