Classic ASP: Is there a way to add to the results of a posted form

Brian J. Matuschak

Greetings:

We have a survey site where the responses are returned as new static ASP
pages. What we'd like to do is to have a section below the "Comments" that
the original respondent that is a "rebuttal" to the comment that we can fill
out and have it remain static--these pages are visible to our internal
public, but we don't want anyone to post in this "rebuttal" section except
for us. This is what it would look like:

Comments: Your service was poor.
Rebuttal: We strive to do our best on every event, and it is our
understanding that the equipment you were to supply arrived late. We hope
that you will consider working with us in the future despite this unfortunate
situation.

Is there a way to add such a section to a page?

Thanks,

Mike Brind

Brian J. Matuschak said:
Greetings:

We have a survey site where the responses are returned as new static ASP
pages. What we'd like to do is to have a section below the "Comments"
that
the original respondent that is a "rebuttal" to the comment that we can
fill
out and have it remain static--these pages are visible to our internal
public, but we don't want anyone to post in this "rebuttal" section except
for us. This is what it would look like:

Comments: Your service was poor.
Rebuttal: We strive to do our best on every event, and it is our
understanding that the equipment you were to supply arrived late. We hope
that you will consider working with us in the future despite this
unfortunate
situation.

Is there a way to add such a section to a page?

You would need to create an input form for the rebuttal comments to be held
in your admin/private area, and link the rebuttal comment to the ID of the
original comment.

I don't know what a "static" ASP page is. An oxymoron, perhaps?

Brian J. Matuschak

Thanks for the reply, although the specifics in terms of the architecture and
implementation I can't quite grasp, i.e., the "admin/private area."

As for my comment about it being "static," there are no server-side
controls, and the source page could have been rendered in HTML.

Mike Brind

Thanks for the reply, although the specifics in terms of the architecture
and
implementation I can't quite grasp, i.e., the "admin/private area."

As for my comment about it being "static," there are no server-side
controls, and the source page could have been rendered in HTML.

Ok. Given your use of the term "server-side control" I think you may well
have a dotnet page there (ending in .aspx?). If so, you are in the wrong
group despite the subject line of your thread. This group covers classic
asp (pages end with .asp) which has no concepts such as server-side
controls. Dot net is completely different. The main group for asp.net is

All web pages, regardless of how they are generated are rendered in html.
Your lack of understanding of this therefore suggests that you are not a
programmer. This is an observation, not a criticism.

If this is the case, you will either want to learn some programming (not a
trivial undertaking) or hire someone who has already learnt. No one in any
of these groups will write an application for you, but we are happy to help
you as you learn, if that's what you want to do.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I've got the wrong end of any
sticks here.

Brian J. Matuschak

A couple of points here:
1. The page in question has an .asp extension
2. My primary programming experience is in VB/VBA with some exposure to VB
..NET with some server-side controls for a log-in page and SQL Server
Reporting Services. VBA dialects I've programmed in are Access, Excel,
Outlook, and ESRI ArcObjects.
3. I learned HTML in 1996.
4. My career path has steered me away from classic ASP, although I've had
to edit existing Web pages, and many moons ago, I did work tutorial projects
in Visual InterDev.
5. Right now, I'm multitasking by working the tutorials in "Microsoft
Visual C# Step by Step."

Granted, I may not be a strong MS technologies Web programmer, but I think
you're on the wrong end of the stick here. And I'm just looking for a little
help here instead of a flame war.

Mike Brind

Brian J. Matuschak
(e-mail address removed)

--

I'm not sure how I could have done more to avoid the suggestion that I want
to start a flame war in my last post, but obviously I need to review my

I was assuming that the survey responses are submitted by respondents, then
stored in a database and displayed on a page. If this is the case, I would
set up another form (password-protected and hidden from Joe Public - hence
"private/admin area) and use that to submit rebuttals. I would also add a
"rebuttal" field to the comments table in the database. This is what would
be populated on submit of the rebuttal form. Then I would change the coding
on the public page to retrieve the rebuttal field as well.

However, "static" pages are hard-coded html pages - irrespective of the file
extension they have. Are you saying that for each survey response there is
a new hard-coded page created?

Larry Bud

Brian said:
Greetings:

We have a survey site where the responses are returned as new static ASP
pages. What we'd like to do is to have a section below the "Comments" that
the original respondent that is a "rebuttal" to the comment that we can fill
out and have it remain static--these pages are visible to our internal
public, but we don't want anyone to post in this "rebuttal" section except
for us. This is what it would look like:

Comments: Your service was poor.
Rebuttal: We strive to do our best on every event, and it is our
understanding that the equipment you were to supply arrived late. We hope
that you will consider working with us in the future despite this unfortunate
situation.

Is there a way to add such a section to a page?

Reading your other responses, you need to CREATE a login section for
your side of the business. Then you (i.e. "admin") will pull up the
customer response, and you need to create a form so that you can enter
your rebuttal and link it back to the cusomter response.

The Rebuttal form for entering this text is a completely separate page
than where the result is displayed.