Classic ASP sytem needs to support Chinese data entry - to do list

Carlin Anderson

I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support chinese
character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
"N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields (input,
textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information. Some
users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.

I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Carlin

Anthony Jones

Carlin Anderson said:
I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support chinese
character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
"N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields (input,
textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information. Some
users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.

I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Carlin

You will need the Form pages to be sent as UTF-8 and the client informed of
that choice.

Response.Codepage = 65001
Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"

If your existing page contains characters outside the standard ASCII set
save the file as UTF-8.

Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
the form fields.

With that done and NVARCHAR fields in place you should be ok.

Anthony.

michal

a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:
Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
the form fields.
Thats very important!

Anthony Jones

michal said:
a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:

Since the actual content-type header already contains this value why is this
meta tag needed?