Code::Blocks / Deleting A Project / C++

John

Hello;

I am working out of a book and teaching myself the Computer
language C++ using the compiler called Code::Blocks. I have just
started learning C++. I have created a new project that has been
saved and now I am in need of deleting this project. My problem is I
don't know how to delete it. I created the project in this maner.

File > New > Project

Select the "Console Application" Icon > Click Go

Select C++ As The Desired Language

Select the "Console Application" Icon >Click Go

Navagate To The Subdirectory Folder To Build In The Project Field

In The Project Title Field > Name The Project

Click Next

Click Finish To Create The Project

To Save > File > Save

In this book one project (Program) is based upon another and sometimes
I make errors. So I need to go back and correct them to continue on
to learn to write a program. If any one has any thoughts, ideas,
links or tutorials to pass on how I could delete this project I would
appreciate it.

Victor Bazarov

John said:
I am working out of a book and teaching myself the Computer
language C++ using the compiler called Code::Blocks.

It's not a compiler, it's a development environment, although it really
doesn't matter.
> [..] If any one has any thoughts, ideas,
links or tutorials to pass on how I could delete this project I would
appreciate it.

Here is an idea: find a better forum for product-specific questions,
please. Your question is not about C++ language, and as such is
off-topic here. You're free not to appreciate this idea, of course.

Francesco S. Carta

[...]

Although I agree with Victor - this is absolutely not the right place
to ask such questions - I can give you quick reply (Code Blocks is my
IDE too).

You only need to close that project (file > close project) and then
manually delete all the files inside of the folder of that project.

As another pick, after you have closed a project, just create a new
project using the same name. You will be prompted for overwriting the
files: just agree and you'll be ready to start from scratch with a new
project using the old name.

Search with your favorite web search engine it and you'll get a lot of
pointers to documentation, tutorials, forums and so on.

Have good time,
Francesco

John

--
 Francesco S. Carta, hobbyist
 http://fscode.altervista.org- Hide quoted text -

Re: Mr. Francesco & Mr. Victor

I agree that this is not the proper venue for this question. But
I have tried other forums where the average person doesn't understand
Code::Blocks and other venues like this one where I go over looked
because I am not as advanced. But the answer that I recieved from Mr.
Francesco was the closest answer I have gotten to my question from
numerous postings in other places. So I would like to ask one last
thing of Mr. Francesco how do you mean by manually delete all the
files inside that folder. I am sorry for any inconveniences and once
again I know that this is not the right place to ask these questions.
Thank you.

Francesco S. Carta

Re: Mr. Francesco & Mr. Victor

I agree that this is not the proper venue for this question. But
I have tried other forums where the average person doesn't understand
Code::Blocks and other venues like this one where I go over looked
because I am not as advanced. But the answer that I recieved from Mr.
Francesco was the closest answer I have gotten to my question from
numerous postings in other places. So I would like to ask one last
thing of Mr. Francesco how do you mean by manually delete all the
files inside that folder. I am sorry for any inconveniences and once
again I know that this is not the right place to ask these questions.
Thank you.

You're welcome John. There is no need for Mr. and alike, everything
here goes along quite informally, the first name alone is normally
fine (we might recur to the family name in case of ambiguity or for
completeness of reference, when referring to a post in another thread,
for example).

For completeness of information I'm going to answer your further
question, but any subsequent question (if any) should be posted in the
following forum:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/

By "manually delete" I mean to locate those files in your hard disk
and delete them, nothing more than this. I'm going to give you further
details, once I'm here.

My Code::Blocks version is 8.02, your version might be different but
the juice of the following should be equivalent.

When you create a new project using the wizard, you're prompted with a
sequence of dialog windows.

One of them will ask you for the "Project title" and for the "Folder
to create project in". Typing the title, the "Project filename" and
the "Resulting filename" fields should be updated to reflect the
title.

So then, if you never changed the second field ("Folder to create
project in") all of your projects should appear there.

Just open that folder (I'll call it "base_folder", below) and see what
it contains.

There should be some folders named after the title of each project;
each of these folders should contain some files named accordingly,
something like this:
base_folder/
- project_one/
-- main.cpp
-- project_one.cbp
-- project_one.layout
-- project_one.depend
-- bin/
- project_two/
-- main.cpp
-- project_two.cbp
-- project_two.layout
-- project_two.depend
-- bin/

etcetera

Just delete the folder of the project you want to delete and you'll be
done.

As I previously said, you can also create a new project with an old
title and you should be prompted for overwriting it - and it should
work.

Some notes:

Deleting such folders you will not get rid of the links/items in the
"recent" list within Code::Blocks. Simply ignore those links.

If you happen to find that "base_folder" empty, probably you changed
it in the wizard when you created those first projects. Search your
hard disk for filenames ending in ".cbp" and you should find them.

Overwriting an old project will not get rid of eventual additional
files you might have created - for example, some "header.h" and/or
"module.cpp" - those will simply stay there in their folder without
being used. To get rid of them, elete them from their folder.

Keeping old projects is not that bad - I happen to have tons of them
in my "C++ projects" folder. I normally create a new project for every
thread to which I post code (to test the code, to keep it for future/
off-line reference and so on).

Just get accustomed to managing those folders and their files.

Hope this helped you to get a grip on this subject, refer to the forum
I linked above for your future needs about C::B.

About basic C++ questions, shall you ever need, there is
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

When you'll get somewhat accustomed and you start having some more
serious C++ related issue, feel free to come back here on clc++ and
post your questions, you should get prompt and good help.

Have a look to the following, it's the "read this first" message of
this group:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

This will give you some further direction about all of this C++
related stuff - the FAQ in particular is _very_ important and very
instructive.

Wish you good time learning C++,
all the best,
Francesco

John

[...]

Francesco;

Thanks for the wealth of information. It's going to take some time
to digest it all. I'll try to get accustomed to managing files and
folders. I will also take note of the Code::Blocks forums site.
Thanks again John.

Francesco S. Carta

[snip]
    Thanks for the wealth of information. It's going to take some time
to digest it all.  I'll try to get accustomed to managing files and
folders.  I will also take note of the Code::Blocks forums site.
Thanks again John.

You're welcome.

Keep your pace and do your experimentations, wish you good fun with C+
+.

Cheers,
Francesco

jasdad

John said:
   I am working out of a book and teaching myself the Computer
language C++ using the compiler called Code::Blocks.

It's not a compiler, it's a development environment, although it really
doesn't matter.

 > [..] If any one has any thoughts, ideas,
links or tutorials to pass on how I could  delete this project I would
appreciate it.

Here is an idea: find a better forum for product-specific questions,
please.  Your question is not about C++ language, and as such is
off-topic here.  You're free not to appreciate this idea, of course.

Aren't compilers, editors and IDEs very much a part of writing C++
code? You can't write C++ or any other language without those tools.
So I would think that that asking a question about a particular C++
IDE would be relevant. We all use compilers, editors and IDEs to do
our C++ work. And the poster did look elsewhere, but wanted to try
his luck here. There's probably not a better place. The wealth of
expertise that resides in this forum is practically unparalleled.
Heck, even Bjarne Stroustrup has posted here. So I say it's all good,
so long as it's directly or indirectly relevant to the C++ language.

But I could be talking out of my posterior because I'm not that up on
the rules around here. ;-)

Anyway, I'm quite fond of Code::Blocks myself - great cross platform
IDE that has project templates for plain old C++, wxWidgets, Qt,
Win32, FLTK, and GTK+.