Communicating with running process / acceptance-testing GUI apps

Sean DeNigris

Hi list,

Does anyone have a method for interacting with a running Ruby
process? Specifically, I want to launch a Ruby app using a wxruby
GUI, and then somehow drive it from cucumber. I tried non-Ruby
solutions like Mac applescript GUI scripting to no avail.

Google produced a lot of info on irb and gdb, but I can't see how (if
it's even possible) to extend those techniques to what I'm attempting.

The only thing that seemed promising was wx-nobbie, a gem that can
test wxruby apps, but it runs all tests against the same instance of
the app, which does not work for me.

Thanks!

Sean

Eric Christopherson

Hi list,

Does anyone have a method for interacting with a running Ruby
process? =A0Specifically, I want to launch a Ruby app using a wxruby
GUI, and then somehow drive it from cucumber. =A0I tried non-Ruby
solutions like Mac applescript GUI scripting to no avail.

Google produced a lot of info on irb and gdb, but I can't see how (if
it's even possible) to extend those techniques to what I'm attempting.

The only thing that seemed promising was wx-nobbie, a gem that can
test wxruby apps, but it runs all tests against the same instance of
the app, which does not work for me.

Do you mean you want to test the GUI component of it? I don't know
anything firsthand about that, but I just noticed a book at Border's
called _ Scripted GUI Testing with Ruby_.

<http://www.amazon.com/Scripted-Testing-Ruby-Pragmatic-Programmers/dp/19343=
56182/ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1268018319&sr=3D8-1>

Sean DeNigris

Do you mean you want to test the GUI component of it?
Well, I want to drive the app through the GUI, but not simulating
clicks and keys. Something like being able to call methods on my
controllers or maybe fake gui events. The key is to be able to
interact with the objects in a running process.
I don't know anything firsthand about that, but I just noticed a book at Border's
called _ Scripted GUI Testing with Ruby_.
I read the book. It was good, but the strategy on Mac was Applescript
GUI which only works on accessible components (e.g. Cocoa). I'm
testing wxruby, which doesn't seem to respond.

Thanks.

Sean