Compiler

flagos

You can test Bloodshed Dev-C++ or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

Hope this help.

Renato Golin

SirMike said:
Dnia Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:34:24 +0100, Renato Golin napisa³(a):

Dev C++ is not a compiler.

I know, but that would lead him on the right path.

Saying gcc (or mingw) would lead to the next question: how can I get it
and than how can I write code, etc etc. Dev C++ does all that and bring
you the best compilers as a gift.

A purist answer should be Gnu gcc / mingw.

--renato

Tom Smith

John said:
> What is the best free Win32 C++ compiler available ?

The best free compiler available is almost certainly GCC or
Mingw. However I think (from the way you asked the question)
that what you're really after is an Integrated Development
Environment (IDE), which provides a compiler (or choice
thereof) and editor and a nice graphical interface between
them, as well as perhaps a debugger and maybe even
interactive help.

My own personal choice of free IDE (after shopping around
fairly extensively) would be the stunning but apparently
little-known (*) Code::Blocks; the most popular choice seems
to be Dev C++, recommended by several other people already.

Hope that helps,

Tom

(*) Regular posters here: why is this? I've read this ng
on and off for a couple of years and never once seen
Code::Blocks even mentioned. Is there something deeply
wrong with it that I haven't yet noticed? I found it much
more polished and easier to use than Dev C++, with some
outstanding bells and whistles in the way of auto code
generation etc.

Renato Golin

Tom said:
(*) Regular posters here: why is this? I've read this ng
on and off for a couple of years and never once seen
Code::Blocks even mentioned. Is there something deeply
wrong with it that I haven't yet noticed? I found it much
more polished and easier to use than Dev C++, with some
outstanding bells and whistles in the way of auto code
generation etc.

Never heard of it but also I don't code for Windows so much. I've used
Dev C++ to help my wife to learn C for college and that was what our
college suggested for Windows.

Apart from that, I've used Borland C++ Builder and liked very much but
today I'm looking for the cleanest possible and that's why I haven't
found yet (unfortunately) a better editor than VI.

Kdeveloper seems to be the best IDE for linux now (even for non-KDE
programs) better than Eclipse and Gnome alternatives. Dev C++ is much
cleaner than Borland and Visual C++ and used MinGW, that's why I liked.

This one you suggested seems nice, though, and it seems to run under
Linux, what's even better! Will try that, thanks for the tip!! ;)

--renato

genedefcon2000

After downloading all the Visual whatevers at Microsoft, I must say
that Visual C++ Express Edition is good.

BobR

Renato Golin wrote in message said:
I know, but that would lead him on the right path.

Saying gcc (or mingw) would lead to the next question: how can I get it
and than how can I write code, etc etc. Dev C++ does all that and bring
you the best compilers as a gift.

A purist answer should be Gnu gcc / mingw.

--renato

Uh, 'gcc' is the GNU 'C' compiler. You MUST mean 'GCC' (GNU Compiler
Collection, that includes gcc **and** g++.) <G>

I to suggest Dev-C++ with the MinGW (GCC port) package.
It gets you up-n-running upon installation, and you can later point the IDE
to other compilers, or other IDEs to MinGW.

I've been trying out 'MinGW Studio' on win98/Debian GNU. It's a little thin
on features at current stage, but, I like 'thin'! [ if you like 'complex',
get Emacs!! <G> ]

--
Bob R
POVrookie
--
Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
MinGW (GNU compiler): http://www.mingw.org/

Aurelien Rainone

(*) Regular posters here: why is this? I've read this ng
on and off for a couple of years and never once seen
Code::Blocks even mentioned. Is there something deeply
wrong with it that I haven't yet noticed? I found it much
more polished and easier to use than Dev C++, with some
outstanding bells and whistles in the way of auto code
generation etc.

I also find Code::Blocks much more polished and also much more complete
than Devc++. When code::blocks development started, developer had in
mind to fill the hole of devc++.

In my opinion, Code::Blocks is from far, the best free IDE for win32
platform, though It also exists for Linux and MacOS, as it is developed
with multi-platform tools like wxWidgets, tinyXML and many more...

In addition, Code::Blocks developer community is very active, with
development snapshots ( nightly builds) released almost everyday.
Trying is adopting it. I have been programming with devc++ for a long
time, because i didn't want to use MS's one. One day, i found myself
looking for another IDE because of the annoying limitations of devc++
like : no workspace management, code completion works when it wants
(and that's not often...). I felt on Code::Blocks and idn't change my
mind. Devc++ projects (as MS's ones) can be imported into. You can use
it with any compiler because all the tricky stuff like creating the
command line for this compiler is already done.

No, I'm not a code::blocks developer, but i simply can't understand why
is it staying unknown...

I think you should try :
www.codeblocks.org