Configuration Error : Web.Config [No Relevant Source Line]

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by aSoundMind, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. aSoundMind

    aSoundMind Guest

    Hi there, I recieve this error

    Server Error in '/integrate' Application.

    Configuration Error
    configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
    specific error details below and modify your configuration file
    appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file:
    Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\integrate\web.config' is
    denied.

    Source Error:

    [No relevant source lines]

    Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\integrate\web.config Line: 0

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

    This is the scenario
    1. The code was working fine before
    2. I Copy the "integrate" folder, the folder where my code is, and
    made a backup "copy of integrate"
    3. Then I copy the codes from development to production into the
    "integrate" folder
    4. Run the code, I recieved the error
    5. I revert back to original folder by DELETING all the files. Open
    the backup, copy all the files from "copy of integrate" to "integrate"
    folder.
    6. Run the code, I recieved the same error
    7. IIS Reset
    8. Run the code, same error

    I am totally blur on what's going on here. If the webconfig and all
    the files are all the same with the original state, why is it giving
    that error?

    Please do help. Thanks in advance.

    //Jack

    aSoundMind, Apr 19, 2007

  2. aSoundMind

    aSoundMind Guest

    Hi again,

    I forgot to include my web.config code

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
    Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the
    web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
    the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
    A full list of settings and comments can be found in
    machine.config.comments usually located in
    \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
    -->
    <configuration>
    <appSettings/>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="MSPConnString" connectionString="Data
    Source=JKTGRHXSAPPS2;Initial Catalog=ProjectServer;Integrated
    Security=True;"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>
    <system.web>
    <!--
    Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging
    symbols into the compiled page. Because this
    affects performance, set this value to true only
    during development.
    -->
    <compilation debug="true"/>
    <!--
    The <authentication> section enables configuration
    of the security authentication mode used by
    ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
    -->
    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <!--
    The <customErrors> section enables configuration
    of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs
    during the execution of a request. Specifically,
    it enables developers to configure html error pages
    to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
    defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
    <error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
    <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
    </customErrors>
    -->
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    //Jack

    aSoundMind, Apr 19, 2007

  3. I'm guessing that ASP.NET account (the account .NET uses to run web sites)
    does not have at least read access to your web.config file. It seems that
    for some reason when you created the new folder C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\integrate,
    it didn't inherit the wwwroot default security settings.

    HTH,

    --
    Konstantinos Pantos,
    Software Engineer

    Konstantinos Pantos, Apr 19, 2007
  4. aSoundMind

    aSoundMind Guest

    Hi Konstantinos,

    I hvn't checked the security permission for web.config. Would you mind
    explaning more on "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\integrate,
    it didn't inherit the wwwroot default security settings."

    How to make it inherit the default security settings?

    Thanks

    aSoundMind, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Right Click on the folder "integrate" then "Security" tab, button "Advanced"
    check at the bottom "Replace permission entries...."

    And hit OK button.

    Then all files in that folder will inherit permissions of that folder.

    Usually newly created files inherit parent's folder permissions. But if you
    created file some other folder and then move it to another folder then
    permissions stay and not get inherited

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 19, 2007