controlling the mouse pointer on linux (or as vnc client)

Gelonida

Hi,
From a python script I'd like to be able to move the mouse to certain
absolute coordinates on the screen.

There's no problems calling an external program with subprocess.popen,
as I do not want to perform many movements.

The mouse can jump it doesn't have to visibly move to the target coordinate.

What would you suggest to achieve this on Linux Ubuntu 10.4?

Lateron it would be intersting to acheive the same on a Windows PC

One idea, that I had (for a cross platform solution) would be to start a
VNC server on localhost and the current display and run a small custom
VNC client, which will only control the mouse.

However I have no idea how easy it would be to use a custom VNC client
for moving the mouse.

I read about python-vnc-viewer but don't know how complex it would be to
use it as a base for 'just moving the mouse'

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas

Gelonida

Hi John,
Hi,

absolute coordinates on the screen.

There's no problems calling an external program with subprocess.popen,
as I do not want to perform many movements.

The mouse can jump it doesn't have to visibly move to the target coordinate.

What would you suggest to achieve this on Linux Ubuntu 10.4?

Lateron it would be intersting to acheive the same on a Windows PC

sudo apt-get install xautomation
xte 'mousemove 200 200'

Thanks a lot.

This solution is perfect for Linux.
Exactly what I was looking for. :)

I guess for Windows it would be a little more complicated?

bye