Cookies expire immediately, not when set to expire

Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alas

I have tried the following:

To set the cookie

Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)
response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
"<hr>")

I upload the page and run it. The cookie returns the Date as set. I
then comment out the two Response.Cookies lines and it looks like:

'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)

response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
"<hr>")

I upload the page again and run it and get no value. The cookie
appears to only work in session state, it won't retain the cookie
based on the expiration date set.

I tried this test in IE8 and Mozilla 3.5.1. Both exhibit the same
issue. My IE security settings do not restrict cookies in any way
that I can find. Neither has Mozilla been set to restrict cookies.

If I try this test on my local IIS the cookie is retained.

Why is this not working and is there another way to make it work? I
want to setup an opinion poll using ASP and thought that the cookie
would be a good way to limit voting. If this method will not work
does anyone have a suggestion?

Evertjan.

Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alaska wrote on 01 okt 2009
in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
[...]

As usual you should try to debug, that we cannot do for you.

Are both serverside and clientside GMT-clock correctly set?

Did you try Now() in stead of Date() ?

What if you set the expiring to Now() + 5000 ?

BTW, why the () in
response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
"<hr>")

response.write "<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1")

will do fine.

SQLDude

Here is a little Stupid Cookie Trick which can be very helpful if you
want to READ the Expiration Date of a Cookie:

(And you thought there was no way to Read a Cookie Expiration Date,
too, right?

Just make all your cookies have a Cookie Keys collection like this:

Response.Cookies("5000Watches") = Request.Servervariables
("REMOTE_ADDR")
Response.Cookies("5000Watches").expires = Now() + 1
Response.Cookies("5000Watches").domain = "5000Watches.com"
Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration") = Now() + 1
Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("IPAddress") =
Request.Servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("UserAgent") =
Request.Servervariables("USER_AGENT")

.... then you can READ this parallel universe Expiration Date by doing
this....

Response.Write Request.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration") OR

dtExpireDate = Request.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration")

And all along everyone has been telling me that there is NO WAY to
Read a Cookie's Expiration Date....