Counting occurence of character in a string

Ben Pfaff

A helmet doesn't protect against all types of injuries, so why use
one at all?

H*lm*ts are controversial. The above statement is a great way to
start a flame war someplace like rec.bicycles.misc.

Michael Wojcik

Writing code to check errno after the return,
isn't any simpler than checking the input for NULL
prior to the function call.

Regardless of whether errno is checked, a version which protects
against null (not "NULL") input will avoid UB. Whether it makes
things "simpler" for the caller is utterly irrelevant.

Michael Wojcik

H*lm*ts are controversial.

I am unable to find any topic of significance which is not somewhere
controversial.
The above statement is a great way to
start a flame war someplace like rec.bicycles.misc.

Since this thread is not crossposted to rec.bicycles.misc, that
hardly seems relevant.

Michael Wojcik

read up on the word "analogy" in your favorite dictionary... :)

Sure. While I'm doing so, perhaps you would like to take a look at
"antirrhesis", "ignoratio elenchi", and "aschematiston".

I'm sure there's a specific rhetorical term for "treating a false
analogy as literal", but I can't think what it is at the moment.

--
Michael Wojcik (e-mail address removed)

Auden often writes like Disney. Like Disney, he knows the shape of beasts --
(& incidently he, too, might have a company of artists producing his lines) --
unlike Lawrence, he does not know what shapes or motivates these beasts.
-- Dylan Thomas