    Follow up: is this process different if the modules are loaded from a
    zipfile?

    If there is a link that covers this info, that'd be great too.

    sjbrown, Feb 11, 2009

  2. sjbrown

    Robert Kern Guest

    Python will read the .py file and compile into bytecode. This bytecode will be
    written out to a .pyc file as a caching mechanism; if the .pyc exists and has a
    newer timestamp than the .py file, the .py file will not be read or compiled.
    The bytecode will simply be read from the .pyc file.

    The .pyc file is not really a map of a memory structure, per se. It is simply a
    disk representation of the bytecode. This bytecode is *executed* by the Python
    VM to populate a module's namespace (which is just a dict) in memory. I believe
    it is then discarded.
    Only in that the .py or .pyc will be extracted from the zipfile instead of being
    read directly from disk.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Feb 11, 2009

  3. Can someone describe the details of how Python loads modules into
    There is no magic whatsoever. Python opens a sequential file descriptor
    for the .pyc file, and then reads it in small chunks, "unmarshalling"
    it (indeed, the marshal module is used to restore Python objects).

    The marshal format is an object serialization in a type-value encoding
    (sometimes type-length-value), with type codes for:
    - None, True, False
    - 32-bit ints, 64-bit ints (unmarshalled into int/long)
    - floats, complex
    - arbitrary-sized longs
    - strings, unicode
    - tuples (length + marshal data of values)
    - lists
    - dicts
    - code objects
    - a few others

    Result of unmarshalling is typically a code object.
    No; it uncompresses into memory, and then unmarshals from there (
    compressed block for compressed block)
    See the description of the marshal module.

    HTH,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 11, 2009
  4. sjbrown

    sjbrown Guest

    Thanks for the answers. For my own edification, and in case anyone is
    interested, I confirmed this by looking at import.c and marshal.c in
    the Python2.5.4 source. Looks like the actual reading of the file is
    done in the marshal.c function PyMarshal_ReadLastObjectFromFile. It
    is read sequentially using a small buffer on the heap.

    -sjbrown

    sjbrown, Feb 12, 2009