"crunch"--I@can't understant its meaning!

EricLi

In Arc source code,this word exist in comment.

/* To save much memory (which we badly need at this point), we overlay
* the table used by the previous version of Lempel-Zev with thos
used
* by the new version. Since no two of these routines will be used
* together, we can safely do this. Note that the tables used fo
Huffman
* squeezing may NOT overlay these, since squeezing and *crunching* ar
done
* in parallel.

static long *htab = (long *) string_tab; /* hash code table
*(crunch)* *

-
EricL

Joona I Palaste

EricLi said:
In Arc source code,this word exist in comment.
/* To save much memory (which we badly need at this point), we overlay
* the table used by the previous version of Lempel-Zev with those
used
* by the new version. Since no two of these routines will be used
* together, we can safely do this. Note that the tables used for
Huffman
* squeezing may NOT overlay these, since squeezing and *crunching* are
done
* in parallel.
static long *htab = (long *) string_tab; /* hash code table
*(crunch)* */

Your question is technically off-topic here, as it's not a question
about the C language but about an algorithm implemented in C.
Would you consider questions about health care for puppy dogs
(for example) on-topic here, just because someone mentioned it in a
comment in a C program?
But anyway, "crunching" usually means a process of converting data
into other data that takes up less space. How it is implemented in the
Arc program is off-topic here as it is a question about the Arc
algorithm and not about C.