Custom MembershipProvider - WAT "Type not resolved" error

freeflytim

I'm trying to implement a custom MembershipProvider (and RoleProvider)
together with a custom MembershipUser class in C#, Asp.Net 2.0, MS
Visual Studio 2005.

Everything has worked fine so far, all compiles, then I try to run the
Website administration tool (WAT). I can bring up the main web page of
the tool, but as soon as I click on 'Security', I get this error:

Type is not resolved for member 'TC.Providers.TCMembershipUser,TC,
Version=1.0.2690.40299, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

The earlier error was telling me that the TCMembershipUser class had
to be marked as Serializable - which was a surprise, since I never saw
this mentioned in any of the documentation. Now I'm getting this error
which I can't step into or debug.

I have tried attaching to the process (I'm using the asp.net
development web server) and stepping through the code when I hit the
'Security' link, but this error comes up without breaking into the
code - I've got the VSNet debugger set to break on all errors. I can't
find any help on this "Type is not resolved" error, which seems very
non-specific. I'm going to try again without using the custom
MembershipUser class.

Can anyone help please?!

Guest

I may be proven wrong, but I'm afraid that the website admin tool is only
smart enough to handle the built-in provider(s). Also, it only works on the
local machine.
However, you can find (or write) web pages that do all the things the "WAT"
does, and use your custom provider(s) and the built in Membership, Roles and
Profile provider methods that you've extended.
Peter

Meteor

I did read somewhere (ScottGu?) that the WAT should handle custom
providers - and in fact, it does handle my Membership and Role
providers - but not the extended MembershipUser class!

I'm going to try to get everything working 100% without the custom
MembershipUser class, then try implementing that last.

I definitely don't want to waste any more time than I have to by
writing a new "WAT", and the tool is perfect for testing that things
are working correctly - almost...

Meteor

On further invetigation ("...Gareth Keenan invetigates.."), it seems
that only the WAT doesn't like the custom MembershipUser class. If i
use it within my pages, it works fine.

I can grab an extended user class with TCMembershipUser currentUser =
(TCMembershipUser)Membership.GetUser(Page.User.Identity.Name);

Meteor

The WAT code fails on this line

object[] returnArrayObj = (object[]) method.Invoke(tempObject,
newParameters);

Line 66 of "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles\App_Code\WebAdminPage.cs".

Maybe some smart person out there could figure out why