Custom Templated CompositeControl/CompositeControlDesigner

Andrew Clancy

Hi,

Myself and a colleague are attempting to mimic the custom template
functionality of the ASP.Net 2 Login control. Essentially, we would like to
have the ability within our CompositeControl/CompositeControlDesigner to
have and Action or Verb in the control's smart tag titled 'Convert to
Template' which actually converts the whole control, including it's child
controls to templated mode.

Do this in the Login control, and you'll see the source change to include a
tag with inner html made up of a layout table, and child textbox/button
controls (along with labels and validators. You can then edit the html as
you see fit (eg. convert to div tag layout), but if you remove or rename the
key child controls you'll get a runtime error where the LoginControl is
attempting a FindControl.

Ideally, we would like an example to achieve this, say with a textbox and a
button - can anyone help?

We have been searching for a solution that matches this, but a full trawl of
the net only reveals solutions which are close but not exactly the full
convert-to-template functionality of the login control. For example
http://forums.asp.net/thread/1109037.aspx - to me, this solution does not
match our needs, it is more of a way of enabling templates within your
control that the developer can add to.

I've posted this question to these key custom control guys: Nikhil Kothari,
Andy Smith and Mickey Williams. Does anyone know anyone else I should ask?

Cheers,
Andy