Customer Rendered Web Controls - Page.GetPostBackEventReference vs IPostBackEventHandler

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mr Newbie, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Mr Newbie

    Mr Newbie Guest

    I still have a few questions here. Ive been following some examples in a
    Microsoft Press book on this and have produced a small calculator control
    which I have written most of the code for.

    My quandy relates to the Postback.

    I have rendered my buttons with OnClick="Javascript:" &
    Page.GetPostBackEventReference(ControID) which when rendered does a
    _doPostback('ControlID,'') javascript call and post the page back.

    The event handlers for the click events on these buttons fire and in turn
    raise a control event to tell the containing page that the event has fired
    and for this I pass a derived EventArgs which carries the Button ID and
    value etc in order to communicate this information.

    My Question is mainly centred aournd the IPostBackEventHandler. I have
    implemented this and have also tried it without, and I see no difference. Im
    convinced that Ive missed the point here, but I cant see it.

    Can anyone illuminate?

    Mr Newbie, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Mr Newbie

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Actually I have taken this forward a little since my post, but Im still not
    entirely sure which approach is the best.

    If you render your Custome Control Buttons with a Javascript onClick to
    Page.GetPostBackEventReference(me), then the IPostbackEventHandler's
    RaisePostbackEvent will get called. However, if you want the underlying
    controls ( Buttons ) to fire their own Click Handler then you need to render
    them with a Javascript Page.GetPostBackEventReference(CONTROLID).

    In the latter case, this RaisePostbackEvent never gets called.

    I think that there is more than one way to skin a cat, but Im not sure which
    one is approved ?, any ideas on approach would be welcome.
    -
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 7, 2005