DAL, BLL, does it make sense in a reporting only scenario ?

craigkenisston

I have to create an asp.net application that will take an already
filled database and create about 30-40 different reports from it.
I'm new to asp.net and I started following the examples and created BLL
classes and a DAL bases on strong type datasets.
Now, that I understand a bit what is it and what does it do, I wonder
if this is really necesary.
I could use SqlDataSource to connect directly to the database stored
procedures I created for reports, right ?
So, what do I lose if I skip the BLL and DAL layers in this context ?

John Timney \(MVP\)

Its simply a question of design. There is nothing wrong with connecting
directly to the DB if its appropriate for your scenario, and if this is
quite a self contained application then there may well be no benefit to
layering your system.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

tdavisjr

For reporting, I don't think it makes since. No need for 2 extra
layers just to slow things up. Howver, I would opt for using Stored
Procs rather than dynamic sql.

Guest

Hi,
That's overkill. Reporting has nothing to do with objects, besides you're
probably returning datasets.

The advice: try creating a single webservice called "Reports" or whatever
you wish. Then put all your reports in there like

GetWeeklySales
GetMonthlySales
GetCEOPerks

Then let the report app call the webservice. That way all the code is in the
webservice and can be called in future apps and even excel apps.

App archietects are now thinking of simplicity! FINALLY!

Thanks

sloan

I usually create strong typed DataSets for reports.

But I still write a DataLayer. and a "dummy" biz layer that just passes up
the DataSet.
I guess its habit more than anything.

However, if you ever need to "massage" the data... you should do this in the
biz layer, so that would be a small reason to have the 3 layers no matter
what.

Keep in mind, if you wrote your original code (outside of reports) in good
layers, then your datalayer is probably returning
IDataReader's
and
DataSets anyways. Thus you should be able to reuse some stuff.

see my 2.0 and 1.1 demo's at
spaces.msn.com/sholliday (june 2006 entries)
the 1.1 has strong datasets in it.