Debugging in Visual Studio 2008 with IE7

RuthG

I'm trying to use the Javascript debugger, but it doesn't seem to
work. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, asp.net, and Internet Explorer 7.
(I usually use Firefox and I can set breakpoints with firebug, but I'm
trying to get the integrated Visual Studio debugger, which I prefer,
to work with my Javascript.) In Visual Studio, under tools - options -
debugging - just-in-time all the boxes are checked to enable
debugging. In IE7, disable Javascript debugging is unchecked (both
boxes). I set a breakpoint in my .aspx source file where I know I will
go (on the first line of my function). I then click the green arrow to
start debugging. It doesn't work. My Javascript code runs but my
breakpoint is ignored. Breakpoints set in my code-behind file work
fine.

According to all the documentation, the debugger should work with my
Javascript. Is there a problem with IE7? Is firebug interfering with
the Visual Studio debugger, even though it's a firefox add-in?

David Mark

I'm trying to use the Javascript debugger, but it doesn't seem to
work. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, asp.net, and Internet Explorer 7.
(I usually use Firefox and I can set breakpoints with firebug, but I'm
trying to get the integrated Visual Studio debugger, which I prefer,
to work with my Javascript.) In Visual Studio, under tools - options -
debugging - just-in-time all the boxes are checked to enable
debugging. In IE7, disable Javascript debugging is unchecked (both
boxes).

Those two checkboxes are completely counter-intuitive. IIRC, one must
be checked and the other unchecked. Disregard the documentation as MS
is rarely right about anything (even their own products) and try the
two possibilities.

RuthG

Those two checkboxes are completely counter-intuitive.  IIRC, one must
be checked and the other unchecked.  Disregard the documentation as MS
is rarely right about anything (even their own products) and try the
two possibilities.

Well, I tried unchecking them one at a time, but it had no effect.
Strangely, even though I had checked the "Disable Javascript debugging
- other" first, when I debugged it was unchecked. I tried checking it
again and applying my changes, but I still couldn't debug.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RuthG said:
[Problems with Visual Studio]
Well, I tried unchecking them one at a time, but it had no effect.
Strangely, even though I had checked the "Disable Javascript debugging
- other" first, when I debugged it was unchecked. I tried checking it
again and applying my changes, but I still couldn't debug.

microsoft.ALL exists.

PointedEars

RuthG

I just tried it and it worked with IE7 and VS2008 on a system that also
has the latest Firebug in the latest Firefox (default browser). My
settings are Internet options > Advanced > Disable Script Debugging
(both IE and other) unchecked.

Then I opened a test page and chose View > Script Debugger > Break at
next statement and it took me right into VS (after a dialog box where I
had choose between the different visual studios that are installed).

OK. I tried the same thing and I can get the debugger to work that
way, but I would have to go through that every time. It should also
work if I debug the page, using F5 instead of Ctrl-F5, but it doesn't.
If I then try View > Script Debugger > Open (Break always gives me
"There is no source code available for the current location"), I get
an error from Visual Studio "The source code cannot be displayed."