default.aspx returns instead of the service ? Help please...

con

I am making a call to a asp.net web site that has a web services in a
subdirectory of the main site ie:
www.mainweb.com/webservice/dosomethingservice.asmx ( Using vs2005 to locate
the service via add web service )

Call originates in vb.net on the same server, each attempt to connect to
the web service it results in the default.aspx page being processed, this
occurs when searching for the web service except when I put the full url in
and it finds it right away.

I have a default.aspx which is configured in the web site.

what am I missing ?

Running IIS v6, .net 2.0 framework, vs2005 projects & web site.

Thanks in Advance

con

Sorry I did not explain it properly, when I call the web service it returns
the html of default.aspx, instead of the web service.

con

I am unsure on how to do the dummy call, authentication is setup via
windows.

When I provide the address within VS it connects to the service without
issue,
when it attempts to connect when run from the command prompt it returns the
default.aspx html.

I hope this clarifies it.