asp.net web service connecting to another web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by jazzydance, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. jazzydance

    jazzydance Guest

    I have a couple of questions to ask you about a sql server reporting service
    connecting to a webservice within the DMZ. I am asking this question since I
    want to avoid the double hop problems that occur by using IIS on sql server
    2005. (This is when you use windows authenication in sql server 2005 to
    connect to IIS.)

    Right now my company is using sql server 2005 and may upgrade to sql
    server 2008 within the next couple of months.

    The following questions pertain to using sql server 2005 and visual
    studio.net 2005:
    1. If I want to have sql server report service 2005 connect to web service
    within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
    can look at that would be able to answer this question?
    2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
    would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
    reporting service 2005 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
    reports to a web service within the DMZ?
    I want to use the web service so that the reports can be opened up on the
    internet.

    The following questions pertain to using sql server 2008 and visual
    studio.net 2008:
    (I know that sql server 2008 does not use IIS. There is an http/system url
    that is used instead.
    1. If I want to have sql server report service 2008 connect to web service
    within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
    can look at that would be able to answer this question?
    2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
    would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
    reporting service 2008 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
    reports to a web service within the DMZ?

    Thanks in advance!

    jazzydance, Feb 7, 2010

  2. jazzydance

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    jazzydance wrote:
    > I have a couple of questions to ask you about a sql server reporting service
    > connecting to a webservice within the DMZ. I am asking this question since I
    > want to avoid the double hop problems that occur by using IIS on sql server
    > 2005. (This is when you use windows authenication in sql server 2005 to
    > connect to IIS.)
    >
    > Right now my company is using sql server 2005 and may upgrade to sql
    > server 2008 within the next couple of months.
    >
    > The following questions pertain to using sql server 2005 and visual
    > studio.net 2005:
    > 1. If I want to have sql server report service 2005 connect to web service
    > within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
    > can look at that would be able to answer this question?

    Yeah it's possible. But is it the right thing to do?

    > 2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
    > would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
    > reporting service 2005 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
    > reports to a web service within the DMZ?

    Maybe, you'll want to take a look at this.

    <http://pragmaticworks.com/community/blogs/darrenherbold/archive/2008/10/06/vs2008-reports-web-site-project-type.aspx>

    > I want to use the web service so that the reports can be opened up on the
    > internet.
    >
    > The following questions pertain to using sql server 2008 and visual
    > studio.net 2008:
    > (I know that sql server 2008 does not use IIS. There is an http/system url
    > that is used instead.

    I don't know.

    > 1. If I want to have sql server report service 2008 connect to web service
    > within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
    > can look at that would be able to answer this question?

    I don't know about putting something like that on the Web server that's
    sitting in the DMZ that has contact with SQL server. There is nothing
    wrong with using a portal type solution where everything is behind the
    DMZ, and the user must come into a secure/protected zone.

    <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=sql+server+report+services+via+Web+service&aq=f&aqi=&oq=sql+server+report+services+via+Web+service&fp=a048890d3c90c6fc>

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 8, 2010

  3. jazzydance

    jazzydance Guest

    Mr. Arnold:

    Thank you for your response. However I want the sql server report service
    to connect to another
    web service within a DMZ. I do not want to open up the sql server report
    service web service directly
    on the internet since that is a production server.
    Thus I am just wondering if I connect th sql server report service web
    service to another
    web service within the DMZ, would there be a 'unique' calls that would be
    required. Would
    this be like a standard web service calling another web service?

    thanks!

    jazzydance, Feb 8, 2010
  4. jazzydance

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    jazzydance wrote:
    > Mr. Arnold:
    >
    > Thank you for your response. However I want the sql server report service
    > to connect to another
    > web service within a DMZ. I do not want to open up the sql server report
    > service web service directly
    > on the internet since that is a production server.
    > Thus I am just wondering if I connect th sql server report service web
    > service to another
    > web service within the DMZ, would there be a 'unique' calls that would be
    > required. Would
    > this be like a standard web service calling another web service?

    The Web service would use a Classlib Project (client) that has reference
    to another Web service, which would be a Web service client to a Web
    service.

    There is no Web service to Web service. There is a Web service client
    and Web service server.

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 8, 2010