Delta Count Overflow in Simulation

Isaac

Hi Guys,
I have to block I have to interconnect the two in such a way that the
input of one block is the output from other one . You can think of as
a loop.
I have separate entities for these two block and in the top entity I
have declared the two components and I used port mapping to connect
the signals. For this say I have defined signals and I am using this
signal as to port map the input of first block and at the same time I
am using the same signal to port map the output of second block.
when I start doing simulation I got the following error.
----------------------------
Delta count overflow - stopped. Try to increase the iterations limit
in simulator preferences.
# Fatal error occurred during simulation
--------------------------------

Now I think that since I have just used one signal to port map the
input and output of first and second block respectively, that might be
causing the infinite loop. Do you think I need to defined signal for
both entities separetly and then use the state machine to pass the
signal from one block to another.
Is this is the way to do it or you have some other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Isaac

Jon

Hi Isaac,
"Usually" when you get that error there is some type of feedback
loop. It does not have anything to do using the same single in the
port map for the driver and the receiver. Check to make sure that you
do not have a combinational feedback path.

Jon

Arvind Kumar

Hi,
You did not mention which simulator you're using! What you
mentioned in your mail, cannot cause delta count overflow. My guess is
you have combinational loop in your design somewhere. You could try
locating this in the design. If you're using Modelsim, use set
IterationLimit command to increase the delta count. By default, I
think modelsim uses 5000 iterations..You could set it to 10000 and run
it once again..!!!
Hope this helps..
Regards,
Arvind Kumar,