Denying access to a JSP page directly

Sameer

Dear All,
My login page is index.html.
It accepts username/password there.
Validates it using validate.jsp and redirect it to main.jsp for
further processing.
But i noted that without using index.html, one can go directly to
main.jsp using address bar.
To avoid this i have done this.
I have added this code to validate.jsp

{
%>
<jsp:forward page="main.jsp">
<jsp:param name="security" value="secured" />
</jsp:forward>
<%
response.sendRedirect("main.jsp");
}
%>

As the validate.jsp do not submit any form i have to use the forward
tag.
Now i check this at the start of main.jsp.
<%
try {
String is_secure = request.getParameter("security");
}
catch (NullPointerException npe)
{
response.sendRedirect("secure.html");
}
%>

If the user directly goes to main.jsp then this code will throw the
NullPointerException.
The code throws the exception (as seen on the console) but it do not
redirect it to secure.html.
Why this may be?
Is this the right approach? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

send2r

Hi, this is not a very standard way of dealing with logins.
I have seen in many applications, the way you want to handle a login
is using a "Session" - not just Request.
Now, coming to your problem, I don't think request.getParameter(..)
will ever throw a NullPointerException unless the "request" itself is
not initialized. So, I guess your Null pointer Exception is not thrown
in the try{ .. } block as you showed in your code. Pleaser re-analyze
your code to see from where you are getting the Null pointer - then
you would be able to trap that situation and handle it.
HTH

Lew

Hi, this is not a very standard way of dealing with logins.

Please do not top-post.

You should avoid having Java scriptlet in your JSPs. You should use
<jsp:forward> instead of redirect. Using <jsp:forward> prior to the rest of
validate.jsp means that the rest of the JSP will not render. You should keep
authentication information in the session, as send2r suggested when they also
pointed out that your NPE is never thrown.

Manish Pandit

[...]

This is often achieved via a Servlet Filter. Add a filter, and check
for a session variable and/or a cookie that indicates a successful
auth. If no auth, redirect the user to login page, if auth'd, let him
pass. I am sure you'd find a lot of examples by Googling around on
usage of Servlet Filters to check authentication.

-cheers,
Manish