Design Forms at runtime using ASP.Net

vimalkanth

Hi,

We have a Delphi 5 Windows application which is built as a Client-
Designer-Server application with http-based data exchange between
Client/Designer and Server. Client application is installed in
multiple end users machine. Designer and Server (built as ISAPI dll in
Delphi) reside in Web Server (IIS). Client and Designer application
connects to database through HTTP requests. Server dll in turn connect
to the MS SQL Server 2000 database using ADO.

Designer application used to design windows forms at runtime. Designer
app is like IDE, contains basic controls like Labels, Text Box, Memo,
Drop down etc and also contains User Controls. Administrator designs
forms using those controls (drag and drop, resize features etc are
supported) and add multiple tables/views to a form. Fields in the
tables/views are then mapped to the respective controls (like
DataSource and Datamember in .Net). Once the form is designed, the
form layout, controls properties with their positions are stored in
the database.

Forms saved in the database are then displayed in the Client
application. When a user opens a form, it fetches the respective data
from the database and displays those data in the controls according to
the DataSource and Datamember mapping.

Now we are planning to migrate Client, Designer and Server
applications to .Net. We had identified using ASP.Net, Client
application can be developed.

Our problem is, whether it is possible to build a Designer like
application in .Net (Asp.Net). If possible please let us know how to
start. Or is there any other technology available to develop these
kinds of applications.

Thanks in advance,
Vimal