Django for database driven web application is OK?

cuongvt

Hello
I'm new to both Django and Python. I'm mainly developing on PHP.
I tend to move to Django. But I want to confirm as below:
I heard that Django is mainly used for something like content management,
CMS or something
like that and Rails is mainly for web applications.
So my question: is it true or not?
For rapid web application development, can I use Django to create intranet
database web driven
application in my company for example: empoyees time management, goods
import/export management,
salary management etc?

Tnx in advance.

Bruno Desthuilliers

cuongvt a écrit :
Hello
I'm new to both Django and Python. I'm mainly developing on PHP.
I tend to move to Django. But I want to confirm as below:
I heard that Django is mainly used for something like content management,
CMS or something
like that and Rails is mainly for web applications.
So my question: is it true or not?

Neither true nor false. A CMS *is* a web application. So this question
doesn't make any sense.

Now it's true that Django was born mostly from CMS applications, and
that it showed up in early versions. But the framework did evolved quite
a lot since. FWIW, I did use it for a couple applications that have
*nothing* todo with content management, and it was in the early versions !-)
For rapid web application development, can I use Django to create intranet
database web driven
application in my company for example: empoyees time management, goods
import/export management,
salary management etc?

Yes.

Jarek Zgoda

cuongvt napisa³(a):
I'm new to both Django and Python. I'm mainly developing on PHP.
I tend to move to Django. But I want to confirm as below:
I heard that Django is mainly used for something like content management,
CMS or something
like that and Rails is mainly for web applications.
So my question: is it true or not?
For rapid web application development, can I use Django to create intranet
database web driven
application in my company for example: empoyees time management, goods
import/export management,
salary management etc?

No. Yes. I mean, Django is good in building CMS-like apps but is not a
framework for building CMS-like apps. For example, the largest community
site in Poland http://grono.net/ is built with Django. My company does
other interesting things in Django, completely unrelated to CMS/web
publishing.