    Ruby, etc, etc. This is comp.lang.python, if you don't like it, hang
    out in "comp.lang.whatever". Don't tell me or anybody "Comparing
    Python -> Perl is not allowed here!".

    r, Jan 30, 2009

  2. Giampaolo Rodola', Jan 30, 2009

  3. r

    alex23 Guest

    Seriously, how -old- are you? Twelve? Thirteen?

    alex23, Jan 30, 2009
  4. r

    r Guest

    Ah, my good friend alex23.
    Somehow -- when i was writing this post -- i knew you would drop in
    and i swear i do not have any ESP abilities -- somehow i just knew.

    While your here why don't we take a walk down memory lane. Let's go
    back to our first encounter -- Yes, that crazy thread(i won't utter
    the title here). Seems i was promoting the inclusion of the Python
    language in a revolutionary and promising application and you were
    very upset about it. Why, i really don't know because you never told
    me. The only thing i can remember is you wishing me dead -- if i
    recall your wish was to cut off oxygen supply to my brain.

    I can't help but wonder of the devious thoughts that toil away in your
    demented little mind right now. Of what demise shall i suffer this
    time alex23. But please alex, at least -try- to be a little more
    creative, if i am to meet my end, i would hate for it to be some worn-
    out old cliche'

    r, Jan 30, 2009
  5. r

    r Guest

    This observation leads me to two scientific and common sense synopsis.
    Either nobody here gives a rats pa'toote about Python, and/or they are
    all just a bunch of gutless worms too afraid to stand up to the 10 or
    so Perl/Ruby leeches who's infestation slowly drains the life-blood
    out of the Python Community, keeping it too weak to fight back.
    <dospesos>

    r, Jan 30, 2009
  6. r

    James Mills Guest

    I for one am not e member of either the Perl or Ruby
    fan club - and I don't think I will ever be :) However I"m not
    going to go and start bagging those languages :) I prefer Python!

    I think you'll find a 3rd scenario:

    Python developers (those that develop Python)
    and Python programmers (those that use Python)
    just don't really care about politics, protest and
    all the rubbish that goes on in this list :)

    cheers
    James

    James Mills, Jan 30, 2009
  7. r

    r Guest

    I totally agree James. I not saying anybody should just go around
    bashing this or that language, but i have seen many a ruffled feather
    at the mere mention of Python's greatness. I could understand if
    someone went over to the Perl group and started parroting off "Python
    rules!, Perl sucks!". This should be condemned. But i have also seen
    at this group very viscous attacks on people who just simply think
    Python is a good language and want to tell their Python friends how
    happy they are -- myself included.

    People would call a happy user of Python a fanboy or a Python zealot.
    This blows me away in the context of this group. check out this
    thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...en&lnk=gst&q=python+is+great#6195c98209dcc852

    Here a happy python user shared his thoughts on the Python language.
    He compared Python as "more readable" than Perl and by god he is right
    about that, no sane person can honestly deny this fact. But like
    always some angry responses and warnings followed that this person
    should not criticize Perl, and veil threats were cast.

    This is the madness i refer too.

    r, Jan 30, 2009
  8. r

    John Machin Guest

    Clicking on that link leads me to a 14-message thread in which the
    meat relates to Joe Stroud's problems with py2app, and there is only
    one reference to perl:

    Joe says: """No, I'm *using* py2app. I've been trying to use it for a
    couple of weeks now, with the generous help of such people as Robin
    Dunn, and I still don't have it quite working pro*perl*y.
    """

    This doesn't appear to match the description. Perhaps the PSU has
    subverted my comp)(*&^%$#@!
    NO CARRIER

    John Machin, Jan 30, 2009
  9. r

    r Guest

    Oops -- Good catch John,
    Even perfect people like myself make mistakes :). Here is the
    aforementioned thread where a Python user was chastised for daring to
    say Python has a clearer syntax than Perl thereby easing
    maintainability: OH NO! *big hand wave*
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...hl=en&lnk=gst&q=perl+bashing#c7cfe1fa9634cc2a

    These Perl mongers have no business doing their mongling here, go to
    c.l.Perl!

    r, Jan 30, 2009
  10. r

    MRAB Guest

    [snip]
    It's probably unpythonic to bash other languages. Python is so good that
    there's no need. :)

    MRAB, Jan 30, 2009
  11. Hi r,

    Can you just type

    import antigravity

    and join us up there?

    Hatred for Ruby and Perl seems to oppose natural Python forces,
    that's why you can't see community spirit. Let your hatred go and
    start
    flying already.

    Ivan Illarionov, Jan 30, 2009
  12. r

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Thank you for sharing this. If it has not been already, could this be
    shared as a Python success story on the site? (With proprietary detail
    omitted as needed for approval, of course.)

    tjr

    Terry Reedy, Jan 30, 2009
  13. r

    Steve Holden Guest

    Indeed. What r has not yet grasped is that to be in favor of one thing
    you don't necessarily have to be against everything else. For example,
    if it hadn't been for generous help from the Perl community (as
    represented by http://www.yapc.org/) the first PyCon would never have
    got off the ground. The competition between languages for the attention
    of programmers isn't a zero-sum game.

    I think there has perhaps been some slight decrease in the tolerance
    level as expressed on this list over the last couple of years, but I
    don't think it's (yet) anything to be concerned about. It's mostly a
    matter of teaching by example. I'd like to think I usually set a good
    example, but I've certainly been known to get crabby from time to time.

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Jan 30, 2009
  14. r

    r Guest

    Steve you are defiantly the better of two evils around here :D

    r, Feb 1, 2009
  15. r

    John Machin Guest

    A most munificent malapropism! Sherman's goat must be serene with
    entropy!!

    John Machin, Feb 1, 2009
  16. r

    r Guest

    Who say's George Bush did't have anything to offer :). He was the
    decider after all.

    r, Feb 1, 2009
  17. r

    Craig Allen Guest

    I think what you have found is a remarkable characteristic of this
    language. Somehow, perhaps something to do with guido or python
    itself, python has a very strong non-dogmatic streak. It's a relief
    really. If I were to pose a "is python or its community really xyz?"
    I would wonder about the "one best way to do something". One of my
    first posts here was about three different ways I had built
    singletons. As a result of that I was given a better way, but no one
    said any of the other ways were "non-pythonic", it was more, "if you
    use option one, make sure of this, if you use option two, don't forget
    that"...

    As such, python programmers are not there for you to feel superior.
    If you want a language for a feeling of community, then it hardly
    matters what language you choose, and if you want a good language,
    it's secondary if the community gives you that feeling (you should get
    it from the language itself). And since there IS a python community
    to go to for help, python has that covered without worrying about it
    or making it a language feature. It may seems cold, instead of giving
    warm fuzzies, people will help you with tangible problems, but we are
    not starting a commune. "Uses a langague with sense of community that
    advocates for their language over others" is never in a spec.

    -craig

    Craig Allen, Feb 2, 2009