Download file with in a web service and use it for furthur processing

apondu

Hi,
I am new to web services and i am facing a problem.

I am interested in downloading some file from internet and use it for
furthur processing For eg. i have a file at a the following URL and i
want to download that file in the web service which i am coding and
use it for furthur.

In normal window application i can achieve this by the following
code

link : http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/woodruff/publications/1996-Woodruff-WWW5-WWW.pdf

WebClient WC=new WebClient();

string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);

WC.DownloadFile(link,fileName);

But if i try to achieve the same thing in web service using c#.net
with the following code i am not able to do it.

WebClient WC=new WebClient();

string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);

WC.DownloadFile(link,Server.MapPath(fileName));

can some one suggest me how to achieve the it web services.I am also
intrested in furthur performing some operation on this file for
example reading the data from the file and use it.

Thanks for the help.

This is my mail-id : (e-mail address removed)

Regards,
Govardhan

John Saunders

apondu said:
Hi,
I am new to web services and i am facing a problem.

I am interested in downloading some file from internet and use it for
furthur processing For eg. i have a file at a the following URL and i
want to download that file in the web service which i am coding and
use it for furthur.

In normal window application i can achieve this by the following
code

link :
http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/woodruff/publications/1996-Woodruff-WWW5-WWW.pdf

WebClient WC=new WebClient();

string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);

WC.DownloadFile(link,fileName);

But if i try to achieve the same thing in web service using c#.net
with the following code i am not able to do it.

Could you be more specific? What problem do you have when you try it in a
web service?

John

apondu

Could you be more specific? What problem do you have when you try it in awebservice?

John- Hide quoted text -

I am getting a error message mentioning " HTTP 500 - Internal server
error "
I am doing something wrong, is it the correct procedure to achieve wht
ai am trying to.

Waiting for some help

Regards,
Govardhan

Andrew Brook

Why in your WebService example do you perform a Server.MapPath on the
absolute location of the file?
Could you try without the Server.MapPath, and also make sure that the
webservice has the privelages to access to the locations.

Andrew

John Saunders

apondu said:
Hi,

I am getting a error message mentioning " HTTP 500 - Internal server
error "
I am doing something wrong, is it the correct procedure to achieve wht
ai am trying to.

Waiting for some help

Regards,
Govardhan

Have you looked at this in the debugger? Please do so and tell us which .NET
call is throwing an exception, and which exact exception. If the exception
has InnerException set, then please report that as well (recursively).

John