Dynamic Power Consumption Estimates/Comparison

moogyd

Hi,

I am currently comparing soft IP's for use in our next ASIC product.
For the initial comparison, I will use power consumption estimates
from the supplier (mW/MHz).

The issue is that some vendors quote for 90nm, some 130nm and some of
180nm.

Does anybody have a very rough rule of thumb for relative dynamic
power consumption for different technologies.

e.g. On average, 0.5mA/MHz @ 130nm => 4 * 0.5mA/MHz @ 180nm.

Thanks for any comments.

Steven

gabor

Hi,

I am currently comparing soft IP's for use in our next ASIC product.
For the initial comparison, I will use power consumption estimates
from the supplier (mW/MHz).

The issue is that some vendors quote for 90nm, some 130nm and some of
180nm.

Does anybody have a very rough rule of thumb for relative dynamic
power consumption for different technologies.

e.g. On average, 0.5mA/MHz @ 130nm => 4 * 0.5mA/MHz @ 180nm.

Thanks for any comments.

Steven

For the same number of transistors (you'd have to check if this is
a good assumption when switching process nodes) the dynamic power
will be proportional to V squared times the gate capacitance. Now
V is easy enough to get (core voltage), but the gate capacitance is
not necessarily something you can derive from the overall geometry.
I would imagine you could get these numbers from your suppliers,
though.