Email attachment problem

Alan Harris-Reid

Hi there,

I want to send an email with an attachment using the following code
(running under Python 3.1, greatly simplified to show example)

from email.mime.multipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.mime.text import MIMEText

msg = MIMEMultipart()
msg['From'] = from_addr
msg['To'] = to_addr
msg['Subject'] = subject
msg.attach(MIMEText(body))

fp = open(att_file)
att_msg = MIMEText(fp.read())
attachment = att_msg.add_header('Content-Disposition', 'attachment',
filename=att_file)
msg.attach(attachment)

# set string to be sent as 3rd parameter to smptlib.SMTP.sendmail()
send_string = msg.as_string()

The attachment object msg1 returns 'email.mime.text.MIMEText' object at
<address>', but when the att_msg.add_header(...) line runs the result is
None, hence the program falls-over in msg.as_string() because no part of
the attachment can have a None value. (Traceback shows "'NoneType'
object has no attribute 'get_content_maintype'" in line 118 of _dispatch
in generator.py, many levels down from msg.as_string())

Has anyone any idea what the cause of the problem might be? Any help
would be appreciated.

Alan Harris-Reid