ERROR: Cannot have multiple items selected in a DropDownList.

Guest

Hi,
I am devloping one web application using .net framework 2.0.One page has
7 dropdown list control.When i update the values first bind the values to
the drop down llist then selected text using findbytext method.I got the
following error

ERROR: Cannot have multiple items selected in a DropDownList.

Coding is below

Me.ddlMaterial.DataSource = ds
Me.ddlMaterial.DataTextField = "Material
Me.ddlMaterial.DataTextField = "Material
Me.ddlMaterial.DataBind()
Dim Material As String = row("Material").ToString()
Me.ddlMaterial.ClearSelection()
Me.ddlMaterial.Items.FindByText(Material).Selected = True
how to solve the issue?
pls help.

Thanks and Regards
T.A.Krishna

Masudur

Hi,
I am devloping one web application using .net framework 2.0.One page has
7 dropdown list control.When i update the values first bind the values to
the drop down llist then selected text using findbytext method.I got the
following error

ERROR: Cannot have multiple items selected in a DropDownList.

Coding is below

Me.ddlMaterial.DataSource = ds
Me.ddlMaterial.DataTextField = "Material
Me.ddlMaterial.DataTextField = "Material
Me.ddlMaterial.DataBind()
Dim Material As String = row("Material").ToString()
Me.ddlMaterial.ClearSelection()
Me.ddlMaterial.Items.FindByText(Material).Selected = True
how to solve the issue?
pls help.

Thanks and Regards
T.A.Krishna

okay....

please check wheither you are selecting the same dropdown's items more
than once...

i had suffered from this problem in one of my asp.net 1.1 project...
but as for me my problem happend with htmldropdown

private void ClearSelection(HtmlSelect ddl)
{
foreach(ListItem item in ddl.Items)
{
item.Selected = false;

this function saved me that time...
each time i tried to select a new value i called this method before
selecting new value...
as htmlSelect does not have clearSelection Method...

Thanks
Masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.com/

Eliyahu Goldin

Make sure you are not databinding multiple ddls to the same datasource.
Being selected is an attribute of an item, therefore, if different ddls
select different items from the same datasource, each of the ddls ends up
with multiple items selected which is exactly what you are observing.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant