Export to EXCEL / WORD - Interoperability Setup Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Pradnya Patil, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Hi ,
    I need to export some of the reports to MS EXCEL & MS WORD
    in a WEB

    APPLICATION.I also need to LOCK some of the Columns in
    EXCEL-sheet.Right now I need to

    run the Interoperability setup on the machine where the software will
    run.The machine

    also needs to have MS OFFICE 2003 installed.The setup fails for any
    lower MS OFFICE

    version.
    Following entry gets created in WEB.CONFIG - <assembly> tag,

    <add assembly="Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word, Version=11.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral,

    PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"/>

    I have few Questions regarding this:

    <1> When I tried to run setup of my WEB APPLICATION on a machine which
    doesn't have
    ..NET framewrok installed,the Interoperability setup was successful..but
    though OFFICE

    2003 was installed there , 'EXPORT TO EXCEL' functionality of my WEB
    application is

    not working ...Why is it so ? Do I need to install .NET framework there
    ?

    <2> I guess when u run Interoperability setup ,the dll gets registered
    in GAC..Is it

    possible to have a private assembly (dll) which I can simply put in the
    'BIN' folder ?
    So that I dont have to run that setup.And I should be able to create
    EXCEL- sheet & WORD

    object..and format it as per my requirements...

    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    Regards....
    .... Pradnya Patil

    Pradnya Patil, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Pradnya Patil

    Mark Rae Guest

    Because it's not designed to work this way... Microsoft strongly advises
    against any server-side automation of Office, and won't actually support any
    application which uses it...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2
    1) Create the Office documents in their XML format:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en

    2) Use Aspose:
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Cells/Default.aspx
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx