External component has thrown an exception

Rich Freeman via DotNetMonster.com

I have run into a very bizarre intermittent problem with a web app which has
been online for almost a year now. While the entire app runs correctly on
our dev server, all of a sudden, certain subdirectories on the live server
(but not others) throw an "External component has thrown an exception" error
on pages that were not changed and have been working for months and months.
I suspect the problem could be related to something in one of the ascx files,
but the attempted debug and fix has left me bewildered:

I created a new blank page and one by one added the ascx controls that were
on the pages that threw the External Component Exception. The first 3 added
fine, but when I added the 4th ascx the same error occurred. When I uploaded
the ascx in question to the web server WITH NO CHANGES to the file and
refreshed my page everything magically worked, even though the ascx I
uploaded was identical to the one on the server. More bizarrely, when I
added a Try Catch block to an entirely separate page then re-uploaded my dll
to the server's bin, the External Component error re-occurred right away.
Once again I uploaded the unchanged ascx file and the error went away.

If anyone could give me any info at all as to how to capture more information
about this error could possibly occur and how / why re-uploading the exact
same file seems to make it disappear I would really appreciate the advice.