feedback needed

danny

1k Runescape money thank you. (I AM 11!)
Beauregard said:
"When you pay a small fee of only 1k per month ..."

$1000 AU Dollars? Euros? US Dollars? Per month?

" ... you can ask other people on our Runescape Chat your buggering
questions or you could post a message onto our sit which we will
answer!"

Is Runescape a game for kids? Will kids have a thousand dollars?

al jones

Runescape money

Okay, Danny, I'll make my comments and then go way.

If this is your first web page, it's not bad. It's simple, which is okay -
in a lot of places simpler is much better than some of what I see. BUT
there are a lot better ways to create a web site than anything from office.
If you ask the good people her (my self excluded, I'm learning as well)
they'll <normally> graciously give direction.

In other words, it's not a bad start but you should get some help and try
again.

//al

Chaddy2222

Beauregard said:
He just posted the same query in alt.www.webmaster, where he says he is
eleven years old. For some reason, the site doesn't look like something
an 11-year-old would produce.

I wonder if he is Geoff Hutchison ?
Hmmm, nah, you can tell that in other ways.
I will agree though that the site does not really look like something a
kid of that age would be interested in, it's to plain (and frankly the
english is not really 11-year old speak and the design is not
interesting enough for what is assentually (spelling) a gameing site.
This is a site where bright colours and stuff would really work.

Jonathan N. Little

al said:
Okay, Danny, I'll make my comments and then go way.

If this is your first web page, it's not bad. It's simple, which is okay -
in a lot of places simpler is much better than some of what I see. BUT
there are a lot better ways to create a web site than anything from office.
If you ask the good people her (my self excluded, I'm learning as well)
they'll <normally> graciously give direction.

I'll give you the first tip. Do it again, but this time not with MS
Publisher and Office products. Download a copy of Firefox

http://www.mozilla.com

and view what you have created and you will see why. MS Office creates
horrendous markup that only "barely" works in IE.

Your site is small enough and you are 11 you should be game enough, just
hand code it. Tutorial at http://www.htmldog.com and if you run into
trouble just ask and I am sure folks here will assist.

al jones

Hmmm, nah, you can tell that in other ways.
I will agree though that the site does not really look like something a
kid of that age would be interested in, it's to plain (and frankly the
english is not really 11-year old speak and the design is not
interesting enough for what is assentually (spelling) a gameing site.
This is a site where bright colours and stuff would really work.

Now, c'mon guys. It's the first web page for a youngster who (I've looked
around some of his other references) seems to have a little more than a bit
of education. Maybe the fact that his english is better than yours makes
you uncomfortable - but having worked with a few 'whiz kids' *I* find them
(lack of a better word) enjoyable.

Would you really have been more accepting of a flashy site, full of
everything that some of the notorious sites have, done striictly in
html/css more believable - I'd have had a heard time believing *that* was
done by an unaided 11 year old. Personally I find this something an 11
year old would/could put together for a first try - and he at least had the
smarts to come to the web groups for a critique (even if he did multipost,
which is a no-no, Danny).

//al

Chaddy2222

al said:
Now, c'mon guys. It's the first web page for a youngster who (I've looked
around some of his other references) seems to have a little more than a bit
of education. Maybe the fact that his english is better than yours makes
you uncomfortable - but having worked with a few 'whiz kids' *I* find them
(lack of a better word) enjoyable.

Would you really have been more accepting of a flashy site, full of
everything that some of the notorious sites have, done striictly in
html/css more believable - I'd have had a heard time believing *that* was
done by an unaided 11 year old. Personally I find this something an 11
year old would/could put together for a first try - and he at least had the
smarts to come to the web groups for a critique (even if he did multipost,
which is a no-no, Danny).

//al
They are all good points.
I was simply makeing an observation based on what BTS observed, (it may
have appeared that some of the language used was a bit surfisticated
for the audience in question), which may or may not be the case.
Over all though it was a good effort though (and at least he's trying
to find a better editor to help him out a bit).
So the nesxt version of his site may look less plain (not that
planeness is such a bad thing, after all, i'm no graphic designer by
any strech of the emajonation.

al jones

Ed Mullen wrote...
I don't understand what buggering has to do with it.

One would hope that it's use was strictly as a slang term. I'd hope
something more like 'badgering' ....

//al

danny

Umm... I'm not exactly sure what multiposting is, I'm sorry if it's
unacceptable.... Thanks

Jonathan N. Little

danny said:
Umm... I'm not exactly sure what multiposting is, I'm sorry if it's
unacceptable.... Thanks

Well Danny, you a young web savvy kid, try Googling it, and while you at
it, Google top-posting. Wikipedia has a great article on "netiquette"
which will give you a good foundation on the do's and don'ts on Usenet.

danny

Ahhhh... Thanks. I'll endeavor not to multipost.
Jonathan said:
Well Danny, you a young web savvy kid, try Googling it, and while you at
it, Google top-posting. Wikipedia has a great article on "netiquette"
which will give you a good foundation on the do's and don'ts on Usenet.

danny

Guys I'm just about to make it a whole lot different, so I would
appreciate you continue your helpful feedback, thanks!

al jones

What about not top-posting while you are at being good? <g>

DoRayMe - Danny's using (the unmentionable) google groups to post his
messages. He might not have any option on where the reply goes. ((Not
having used Google groups I *really* don't know...)) Looking at the
headers and his posts in his blog, Danny appears to be somewhere in Europe
(Germany?).

It also appears as if he might be using FireFox (I'm not certain from the
header information).

Danny, I'm second guessing here but, as I noted above, you seem to be
accessing the groups through the university of Berlin(??). You might want
to ask your sponsor there if you can get direct access to the usenet
newsgroups. If the answer to that is a positive, then google for
'newsreaders', select one of them (and people here can give recommendations
- I use 40tude) and try to use that for acessing the newsgroups.

If my guessing is all wrong - oh, well.

//al

Jonathan N. Little

al said:
DoRayMe -

Careful "al" that is "dorayme", capitalization of monikers is very
important to Martians. One should not offend.

> Danny's using (the unmentionable) google groups to post his
messages. He might not have any option on where the reply goes. ((Not
having used Google groups I *really* don't know...))

There are ways to properly quote on GG, someone here has instructions,
maybe Blinky...
> Looking at the
headers and his posts in his blog, Danny appears to be somewhere in Europe
(Germany?).

It also appears as if he might be using FireFox (I'm not certain from the
header information).

Yes he is...
Danny, I'm second guessing here but, as I noted above, you seem to be
accessing the groups through the university of Berlin(??).

No I get Perth
You might want
to ask your sponsor there if you can get direct access to the usenet
newsgroups. If the answer to that is a positive, then google for
'newsreaders', select one of them (and people here can give recommendations
- I use 40tude) and try to use that for acessing the newsgroups.
If my guessing is all wrong - oh, well.

//al

And if you fix you signature I would not have to trim it... A signature
begins with 2 hyphens followed by a space and then a carriage return

[hyphen][hyphen][space]

[put your signature here]

dorayme

al jones said:
DoRayMe - Danny's using (the unmentionable) google groups to post his
messages. He might not have any option on where the reply goes.

I don't think it is so hard on Google to quote. If I recall, I
think Els pointed out ages ago that you need to click on Options.
Blinkey (mentioned by JL) is horrible on Google so don't seek his
advice, he knows many things but hates Google with an intense
passion (which I secretly admire) and so is very biased.

.... (but I don't want to think about it now. Something more
important is distracting me terribly: the way you have
represented my name. In some ways I don't feel a lot of pain at
the capitalisation of the R and M - sure, it is painful, but sort
of interesting at the same time, reminds me of my file naming
practices (and, of course, anything that reminds me of myself is
interesting to me) - but I absolutely draw the line at the D.
This is like torture. You are not to know this, but this is
particularly hurtful where I am at the moment: in Ed Seedhouse's
ignore file. I can tell you, this IF is not a nice place like the
(relatively) nice BdeZ killfile I spent a few months in quite
some time back. I realise, al, this is not your fault.)

Blinky the Shark

al said:
DoRayMe - Danny's using (the unmentionable) google groups to post his
messages. He might not have any option on where the reply goes. ((Not

He certainly does have that option.