Some feedback on my website would be good

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in (e-mail address removed):
Hi all.
Some feedback on my site would be much appreciated.
http://freewebdesignonline.org

Chad, check your signature. It's not going away like it should, perhaps
you do not have the space after the two dashes?

But, on to your request, the first thing is that the contrast between the
background and foreground colors is not enough. Someone with poorer
vision might not be able to see the text. It also makes the whole thing
seem kind of dark and depressing. Brighten it up a bit, you don't have
to go crazy, just lighten up the background color might be enough.

In the navigation bar, Web and hosting are on two different lines, but on
hover the background is the same, so I am assuming the line is not
supposed to wrap there. It also seems odd to have navigation that width
so that it does wrap, seems there is enough room for it not to wrap.

On that web hosting page, the first paragraph apparently has no bottom
margin so it is kissing the top of the next paragraph, and yet, the other
paragraphs are just fine.

The page heading is off center, and it looks a little odd.

HTH

richard

Hi all.
Some feedback on my site would be much appreciated.
http://freewebdesignonline.org

Since you asked, it only took a year to get to this point.
Good selling point.

"web hosting" in the navlist breaks to a second line in ff 2.
most likely an issue with width somewhere.
but ok if I decrease my text size.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrienne said:
Chad, check your signature. It's not going away like it should,
perhaps you do not have the space after the two dashes?

Chaddy posts using Google Groups, which strips trailing spaces, so you
are correct - there is no space. However, my newsreader does handle it
correctly. <g>

+mrcakey

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in (e-mail address removed):

Chad, check your signature. It's not going away like it should, perhaps
you do not have the space after the two dashes?

But, on to your request, the first thing is that the contrast between the
background and foreground colors is not enough. Someone with poorer
vision might not be able to see the text. It also makes the whole thing
seem kind of dark and depressing. Brighten it up a bit, you don't have
to go crazy, just lighten up the background color might be enough.

Not so sure. These are results from CCA -

Foreground:#000000 Background:#CCCCCC

colour difference:612/brightness difference:204

The difference in brightness between the two colours is sufficient. The
threshold is 125, and the result of the foreground and background colours is
204.

The difference in colour between the two colours is sufficient. The
threshold is 500, and the result of the foreground and background colours is
612
In the navigation bar, Web and hosting are on two different lines, but on
hover the background is the same, so I am assuming the line is not
supposed to wrap there.

I always use &nbsp; where I want a non-breaking space.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in (e-mail address removed):
The page heading is off center, and it looks a little odd.

The HTML and CSS on this particular one could be improved: text-aligns
and auto margins and widths and <br>s need to be thought through more.
The whole extra div for banner is perhaps unnecessary (but see below).

One of the problems is that the banner, at 700px, is always going to
cause an oddity at modest browser widths. I suggest that you get rid of
this image and make the background of the banner div the blue that you
want and give this banner a % width in relation to #header or even
margins left and right.

And as for the text, if you want to use image of text, go ahead, but
just the text itself, white and GIFd or PNGd (transparent bg) or even
JPGd (the blue bg you want) and simply text align (but do not BLOCK) or
BLOCK, width and auto align.

If you really want the blue background to be fancy and bevelled, go
ahead and use an image. No problem. But use a different image to the
text image. Now with a more or less plain blue rectangle, you can width
this img in percentage terms, even give it margins too to get it to
stretch in relation to the container (#header). In other words, you can
fluid the background box yet have the text clear and rigid.

Chaddy2222

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in (e-mail address removed):

Chad, check your signature. It's not going away like it should, perhaps
you do not have the space after the two dashes?
It's a GG issue I think you will find.
GG strip the > signs out as well in some cases.
But, on to your request, the first thing is that the contrast between the
background and foreground colors is not enough. Someone with poorer
vision might not be able to see the text. It also makes the whole thing
seem kind of dark and depressing. Brighten it up a bit, you don't have
to go crazy, just lighten up the background color might be enough.
Nah, it's fine.
In the navigation bar, Web and hosting are on two different lines, but on
hover the background is the same, so I am assuming the line is not
supposed to wrap there. It also seems odd to have navigation that width
so that it does wrap, seems there is enough room for it not to wrap.
I'll have a look at that, thanks.
On that web hosting page, the first paragraph apparently has no bottom
margin so it is kissing the top of the next paragraph, and yet, the other
paragraphs are just fine.

The page heading is off center, and it looks a little odd.

HTH
Thanks for that.

Chaddy2222

Raymond said:
I am sorry i did not find bad things ... i am happy to navigate on
your site (the copyright part could be no so important in size)
Thanks, I actually did that to make it more readable.

Chaddy2222

dorayme said:
[...]

That banner is actually the logo, it appears on all the invoices and
everything else that I send to clients.

dorayme

Chaddy2222 said:
That banner is actually the logo, it appears on all the invoices and
everything else that I send to clients.

I have no idea from this reply if you are understanding quite what I am
mean? It was a suggested plan to (essentially) keep your logo but avoid
the problem. Perhaps you are not seeing the problem?

<http://dorayme.890m.com/justPics/chad.png>

btw, in addition tothe suggestion I mad, you can use a max-width to
control the width of the blue background to the logo...

Chaddy2222

 Chaddy2222 said:
dorayme said:
I have no idea from this reply if you are understanding quite what I am
mean? It was a suggested plan to (essentially) keep your logo but avoid
the problem. Perhaps you are not seeing the problem?

<http://dorayme.890m.com/justPics/chad.png>

btw, in addition tothe suggestion I mad, you can use a max-width to
control the width of the blue background to the logo...
Thanks for that, you do have a good point.
I'll look into this.

Travis Newbury

That banner is actually the logo, it appears on all the invoices and
everything else that I send to clients.

Why would you invoice someone for something that is free?

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Why would you invoice someone for something that is free?

So that he can then send them a receipt when he receives nothing. I have
employed this technique and it drives people insane. They usually then
pay something. If they don't, I tend to bombard them with extracts from
Sartre's Being and Nothingness. Even the most resistant person then pays
up.