Few questions from a newbye

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by bzamfir, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. bzamfir

    bzamfir Guest

    Hi,

    I'm an experienced developer and I just fond out about Ruby.
    Being a cross platform and allowing (with the help of Ruby2exe) to
    generate exe applications, it seems a solution worthing to consider for
    development.

    However, I'd like to ask some questions:

    1. Currently my main development platform is Windows, so is there any
    free yet powerful IDE for Ruby on Windows, with intelisense
    (auto-complete), debugger, etc - anything you'd expect from a good IDE?
    If not on Windows, is there any like that on other platforms?

    2. Is there any visual designer for ruby (I mean to build user
    interface visually, like in VB, Deplhi, etc)? Is it integrated with the
    IDE?

    2.bis. As I understood there are several libraries for building GUI
    with Ruby, which one is the most portable one across as many platforms
    as possible, as well as allowing to develop applications with a modern
    look (I mean to have as many visual controls as possible - tables,
    tabs, splitters, etc). Is there any visual designer for that?

    3. I saw almost all Ruby tutorials uses MySql as database engine. I
    used it a lot woth web applications, but I'm wondering, if I need to
    use it with a ruly application, is tere any way to embed it into the
    setup kit and install automatically (silent) with ruby? Is there any
    tool which help accomplishing this?

    4. How is Ruby working with other databases? Does it have native
    capabilities to work with DB's like Access (MDB) and other database for
    PC (XLS file, CSV, etc). Or is it using ODBC, OleDB or anything like
    that?

    5. If using ODBC/OleDB, is thsi supported on other platforms (for
    example, a ruby application running on a linux or Mac, to access a pc
    database (MDB, for example) over a network, from a PC server?

    6. is there any Ruby implementation (including a GUI library) for
    Pocker PC?

    Thank you for all your answers.

    Cordially yours,
    Bogdan Zamfir

    bzamfir, Aug 7, 2006

  2. bzamfir

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    Hi,
    I use GNU Emacs with ruby-mode.el, ruby-electric.el (both included in
    the usual Ruby distribution) and ri-emacs [1].
    Tk is included in the usual Ruby distribution, but it doesn't look too
    good. I played a bit with Qt4 and it's ruby bindings [2] and it looks
    promising. Qt offers a good GUI builder and it should be possible to use
    widgets designed with it from ruby. There's a book [3] available, too.

    There are also bindings for GTK [4].

    Bye,
    Tassilo

    Footnotes:
    [1] http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri-emacs/
    [2] http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum
    [3] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ctrubyqt/index.html
    [4] http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

    Tassilo Horn, Aug 7, 2006

  3. bzamfir

    Ryan Farmer Guest

    I have been working on a project utilizing Ruby as a front-end for a
    MySQL database and have been searching for a method to embed MySQL into
    Ruby. Sadly, I have not yet found one.

    I understand from the MySQL documentation that libraries exist from
    MySQL for embedding the server into another application. If anyone knows
    anything about using this functionality in conjunction with Ruby, that
    would be much appreciated.

    RAF

    Ryan Farmer, Mar 3, 2007
  4. bzamfir

    Martin Boese Guest

    Martin Boese, Mar 3, 2007
  5. --------------enigFF5A70EFA1AC166254AD0310

    Neither of which is relevant to the OP's problem.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Mar 3, 2007