Fibonacci series and the exact longitude and latitude

YS Sze

If you know the exact longitude and latitude for a specific
location, would anyone think it'd make any sense to find out if this
set of location numbers is really part of the Fibonacci series or not?

Or, another way to look at this is that: Would anyone of you think it
is worth a while to find out if there is any location on earth with
the set of longitude and latitude numbers that coincides with the
Fibonacci series?

As I see it, if such a location does exist, it may be the most
harmonious place in which to live, invest or die? Sounds stupid huh?

I may be considered superstitious asking this. And yet, given the
amazing coincidences found in nature that may have something to do
with Fibonacci series (to me, it is the mystery of the meaning of
time, for example, 2+3+5+8+13 = 31, whereas some months have 31 days),
you never know if there is any correlation between them too?

Lest we forget, using the fibonacci calculator listed in the link
below:

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibFormula.html#exact

we will be able to find out if any number does belong to the Fibonacci
series.

And, if we buy a portable satellite navigation system and get the
coordinates for a specific location, we should be able to find out the
numbers for this location defined by longitude and latitude (I found
this out on the Net, but not sure if this true).

In other words, for those who believe it, we can find out if our home
is a harmonius place to live in. This maybe another kind of Fung Shui
advocated by we Chinese people for years, who knows?

However, I wonder if and how I can find out where on earth will that
location (that has the set of longitude and latitude numbers that are
actually Fibonacci series) be?

Let me know by email to (e-mail address removed) re your thoughts on this
foolish idea of mine?

Cheers,

YS Sze

Peter Pichler

YS Sze said:
If you know the exact longitude and latitude for a specific
location, would anyone think it'd make any sense to find out if this
set of location numbers is really part of the Fibonacci series or not?

If you'd read the exact name of this newsgroup first, do you think it'd
make any sense posting your rant here?

Morris Dovey

YS said:
In other words, for those who believe it, we can find out if our home
is a harmonius place to live in. This maybe another kind of Fung Shui
advocated by we Chinese people for years, who knows?

comp.lang.c is not the harmonious place you seek.

Jens.Toerring

YS Sze said:
If you know the exact longitude and latitude for a specific
location, would anyone think it'd make any sense to find out if this
set of location numbers is really part of the Fibonacci series or not?
As I see it, if such a location does exist, it may be the most
harmonious place in which to live, invest or die? Sounds stupid huh?

Beside that it is off-topic in comp.lang.c it's stupid because first
of all, the latitude is a completely arbitrary number (why should the
latitude be counted relative to Greenwich and not some other, probably
equally worthy place on earth except for some obscure historic reasons)
and second, why divide the circle into 360 degrees and not into some
other, equally arbitrary value? These are all just some more or less
arbitrary numbers which result from some historical practices.

(to me, it is the mystery of the meaning of
time, for example, 2+3+5+8+13 = 31, whereas some months have 31 days),

Well, if you subtract 1 from 2 to the power of 5 you also get 31, so
you should realize that 31 is obviously made up from 1, 2 and 5. Now,
when look closely enough you'll realize that when you add the smallest
and the largest of these numbers, 1 and 5, and then divide it by the
remaining number 2 you get 3, which is just the difference between the
31 days of the longest month and 28, the number of days the moon takes
for a whole cycle! Amazing, isn't it?
Regards, Jens

Jens.Toerring

the latitude is a completely arbitrary number (why should the
latitude be counted relative to Greenwich and not some other, probably
equally worthy place on earth except for some obscure historic reasons)

Sorry, I of course meant the *longitude* here, I always seem to get
latitude and longitude mixed up:-(

And from http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~feegi/chart2.html:

"Zero longitude was first located in the Portuguese Madeira Islands...
For the next 300+ years the world calculated longitude from Portuguese
islands. Even as their sea- power waned, Portugal's prime meridian
remained the world standard until the English achieved dominance during
the nineteenth century. As nautical charts increasingly became produced
in England sailors began to use both Portuguese and English standards.
In 1884 a European conference narrowly ratified the placement of the
prime meridian in Greenwich England."

Regards, Jens