FileSystemObject

Jason

Hello,

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone can give me a detailed
synopsis of the ActiveX object, FileSystemObject, or even provide some
good links about it. These are the questions that I am mainly
concerned about:

1) Has the FileSystemObject changed a lot over the last few Windows
versions and JavaScript versions? I need to support everything back
to Win 98 and IE 5.5.

2) Is it likely to change a lot in the future?

3) Is it possible for a client to have a machine where IE 5.5 or 6.0
works, but the FileSystemObject doesn't (other than issues relating to
security settings in IE and Anti-virus software)?

I tried to research these questions as much as I could. I didn't seem
to find any changes in the FSO object over the years. I also found
issues relating to Norton Anti-virus. So, any additional help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jason

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,
Hello,

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone can give me a detailed
synopsis of the ActiveX object, FileSystemObject, or even provide some
good links about it. These are the questions that I am mainly
concerned about:

1) Has the FileSystemObject changed a lot over the last few Windows
versions and JavaScript versions? I need to support everything back
to Win 98 and IE 5.5.¨

I am not aware of any changes in the FileSystemObject, at least not
significant, down to the versions you mention. It should work properly.

Be aware, however, that the FSO is IE-specific, and Windows only.

2) Is it likely to change a lot in the future?
No.

3) Is it possible for a client to have a machine where IE 5.5 or 6.0
works, but the FileSystemObject doesn't (other than issues relating to
security settings in IE and Anti-virus software)?

Not sure. I was never confronted to a PC where it didn't work.

I tried to research these questions as much as I could. I didn't seem
to find any changes in the FSO object over the years. I also found
issues relating to Norton Anti-virus. So, any additional help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jason

The FSO documentation is at