finally put my pet project back online

Travis Newbury

But...Oh My GAWD!  No doctype!  How depressing - for the world in general but
particularly this newsgroup.  Now I think I will go and take a shit.

Hey, I left one in the woods a while ago. You can take that one if
you like.

richard

Congrats. That's about the biggest table I ever saw.

But...Oh My GAWD! No doctype! How depressing - for the world in general but
particularly this newsgroup. Now I think I will go and take a shit.

If ya think that's bad, try the original site I got the info from.
There was all kinds of useless coding crap that I had to strip from
it.
Instead of using CSS, he included tons of &160;'s in each line.
Then he couldn't make his mind up which style of quotes he wanted to
use.

http://cashboxmagazine.com/archives/60s_files/19600102.html

here's an example:
    Frankie Avalon–Chancellor
class="wks">  7</td></tr>

I just ran one page through the validator and it came up with tons of
"non-SGML character".

At least the few errors I have are easily corrected.

Neredbojias

Hey, I left one in the woods a while ago. You can take that one if
you like.

Well, I may not have always been the most law-abiding citizen in all
flavors of jurisprudence, but I am fastidiously scrupulous when it comes
to taking other peoples' shits. Why don't you offer it to Richter? He
seems the type.

Neredbojias

If ya think that's bad, try the original site I got the info from.
There was all kinds of useless coding crap that I had to strip from
it.
Instead of using CSS, he included tons of &160;'s in each line.
Then he couldn't make his mind up which style of quotes he wanted to
use.

http://cashboxmagazine.com/archives/60s_files/19600102.html

here's an example:
    Frankie Avalon–Chancellor
class="wks">  7</td></tr>

I just ran one page through the validator and it came up with tons of
"non-SGML character".

At least the few errors I have are easily corrected.

Quite true, and with just a little effort, you could make that into
premier page. The data is there, its plentiful and similar, so the only
real options are the window-dressing.

richard

Congrats. That's about the biggest table I ever saw.

But...Oh My GAWD! No doctype! How depressing - for the world in general but
particularly this newsgroup. Now I think I will go and take a shit.

Take my shit,please. I don't need it.

Andy Dingley

If ya think that's bad, try the original site I got the info from.
There was all kinds of useless coding crap that I had to strip from
it.

Somehow we just know that you did that all by hand too, not by writing
a Perl one-liner or anything sensible.

richard

Somehow we just know that you did that all by hand too, not by writing
a Perl one-liner or anything sensible.

So here's a sample of liberty basic coding I wrote.
This section shows how I stripped the useless crap I had no need of.
If I were to do this by hand, it would have taken me a solid week of
nothing but. This program does it in a few minutes for over 55,000
records.

while arec<rec

arec=arec+1

[loop1]
ptx=0:pt1=1
while pt1>0
pt1=instr(fx$(arec)," ")
ptx=pt1:nx=6:a$=""
gosub [aloop]

wend

wend

What this does is determines if the string in quotes exists in the
record. If it does, then it is removed and replaced with the variable
a$.

IOW, "find and replace".

I am trying to work out a simpler and perhaps quicker method so that I
can replace any &# character set as found in the record.

richard

OK, You've impressed me. You did it the smart way.

The traditional suggestion is to learn a few lines of Perl (this is
literally a one-liner)

However these days I'd suggest Python instead of Perl. Much cleaenr
language. Well worth the effort of learning a tiny amount of it, just
for jobs like this.

I'd use perl/cgi and other server side languages except that I don't
need to be online doing this. I needed a way to do this offline and
this Libby basic fits the bill nicely. Besides already knowing the
language helps.

Carl Grundel, the writer/creator, has also developed a "server"
version which I haven't played with yet. You write the code in your
browser and it does all of the html tags so that you can that easily
repeat stuff as necessary.

Andy Dingley

I'd use perl/cgi and other server side languages except that I don't
need to be online doing this.

Of course you don't - but Perl began life as a command-line language
for jobs like this, and still works fine for it.