Forking Strategies Within Games.

CoreyWhite

When playing games, perhaps the most simple is tic-tac-toe. The game
has two simple strategies, one is defensive and the other offensive.
It is not hard at first to learn how to tie games when playing an
opponent. And then the next stage in development comes after you
learn how to beat an opponent. You really can only employ either
strategy when you get to make the first move, and your opponent will
quickly learn what you are doing either way.

In order to tie games, you only have to control the center of the tick-
tac-toe board, and block your opponent from attacking diagonoly. Then
you can systematically block his attempts at moving laterally across
the board.

Now if you want to win their is a sure fire guaronteed way to do it,
if you know how to fork your opponent. Just put your first piece in
the corner of the board, and after he makes his next move you put your
next piece to the left or right of the center, as far away from the
first corner that you placed your piece. Then regardless of where he
moves next you can place your piece in the center of the board. This
gives you an advantage because you can now win either laterally or
diagonally. And if he deffends either advance, you can take him with
the other.

I suppose if you were playing a real human, your opponent could
automatically fore-see the end result of you initiating the game with
your X or O, in one of the corners, and immediately try and control
the center. So this doesn't always give you an advantage, if someone
knows how to play defense.

But the same logic applies to other board games like chess and
checkers. You have to learn all of the algorithms that can be used to
fork an opponent, and learn all of the methods of deffending yourself
from effective attacks. In order to play you have to be pre-imptive
in assuming your opponent won't see your attack coming, and when
defending you have to be paranoid of how any offensive move could lead
to checkmate.

But where can I look up defensive and offensive forking systems for
chess. I only know of 2 of them? It is easy to attack with a horse
and use another piece to brake through a pawn line defense. Then your
horse can either take a castle, queen, or perhaps a king. And there
is also the childish attack with a queen and a bishop which often
leads to checkmate against players who don't know of the attack. And
although these offensives may not be very elaborate, and require only
playing against novices they illistrate a point. You only have to try
attacking a computer with one of these attacks to learn how to counter
them. And then you watch as the computer siezes control and operates
another algorithm to destroy you on the offensive.

But if there were a complete list of basic strategies which we could
look at as pieces. Then we could learn them and put them
together. :)

hagman

[...]

I doubt that any strategic insights can be transferred form tic-tac-
toe to chess,
at least no practical ones: Tic-tac-toe has only a handful of valid
positions,
less than there are possible /moves/ in some chess situations.
Thus tic-tac-toe is fully understood, whereas for chess one relies on
heuristics, e.g.
occupy the center early
develop your pieces fast
keep your peaces defended
avoid moving one peace twice during the opening
keep your king hidden away
protect your queen
avoid double pawns
don't move knights to the border
keep a rook behind your passed pawn
keep a rook behind your opponent's passed pawns

However, All of these rules have their exceptions, and there are
probably
also exceptions to any exception rul one might formulate and so on...

GeekBoy

Wow...someone without a life

CoreyWhite said:
[...]

Flash Gordon

CoreyWhite wrote, On 21/02/07 15:08:
When playing games, perhaps the most simple is tic-tac-toe. The game
has two simple strategies, one is defensive and the other offensive.
It is not hard at first to learn how to tie games when playing an
opponent. And then the next stage in development comes after you
learn how to beat an opponent. You really can only employ either
strategy when you get to make the first move, and your opponent will
quickly learn what you are doing either way.

<snip>

Incorrect. Whether you have the first move or not you can *always* get
at least a draw. However, this is not relevant to comp.lang.c and
probably a number of the other groups, so in future please keep the
cross-posting down.

Keith Thompson

CoreyWhite said:
When playing games, perhaps the most simple is tic-tac-toe.
[snip]

This has nothing to do with C. Please restrict followups to other
newsgroups.

PerfectReign

CoreyWhite said:
When playing games, perhaps the most simple is tic-tac-toe.
[snip]

This has nothing to do with C. Please restrict followups to other
newsgroups.

Yes it does - the kook's name is Corey.

if ( name == 'corey' ) {
postToGroup( comp.lang.c)
}
else {
postToGroup( comp.lang.visualbasic )

kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone

PerfectReign

None of the groups you posted to are properly targeted by your main
subject matter. Your post would be much better placed in either:
or
or

At any rate, read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-beta_pruning

This is great reading, too.

http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

It will certianly help us determine to what you are referring.

HTH!

HAND.

So, drink any good beer lately?

I tried this stuff from Trader Joe's the other day. It was nasty. I much
prefer my Sierra Nevada.

--
kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone

aktivator99

Oh look, a Google froups user. LOL, you must be new to this whole
"Usenet" thing, huh Kiddo? I mean what with how you're posting
through the WebTV of Usenet and all. Coincidentally, here on Usenet,
there's no such thing as really being "on topic" or "off topic",
really ANY topic is acceptable when done from the standpoint of UPA,
one of THE longest standing traditions in Usenet history...been around
for even longer than the world wide web has in fact...but a stupid
fuckin Webbie like you wouldn't know that, now would you, n00b.job?
Free cl00...we Netters...we don't much like your kind. `, )

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹http://www.backwater-productions.nethttp://www.backwater-productions.net/hatter-blog

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the
best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you
with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Your Usenet blinders are my best friend."

"Usenet Filters - Learn to shut yourself the **** up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my
bad."

"There are clingy things in the grass...burrs 'n such...mmmm..."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty fucking high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage,
endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you
don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton
tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a
function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid.
Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast
indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

HEY FUCKLING Onideus Mad Hatter,

PLEASE TAKE THE FORK BELOW AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE HOLE

* /~\ /~\
* | | | |
* | | | |
* /~\| |/~\/~\ O /~\/~\| |/~\
* /~\| || || || | /|\ | || || || |/~\
* | || || || || | //|\\ | || || || || |
* \ \ \ / / / // | \\ \ \ \ / / /
* \_ / // \\ \ _/
* \ / // \\ \ /
* \______/ // \\ \______/
* \ \___// \\___/ /
* ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Hope the above helps,

Cordially,

Aktivator

bill

[...]

Assign relative values to the squares as in
Chess. The center square is worth 10 points,
the corners are worth about 7 and the rest are
worth absolutely nothing!

---Bill J

Rev Turd Fredericks

PerfectReign said:
This is great reading, too.

http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

It will certianly help us determine to what you are referring.

Much better reading is www.tubgirl.com it explains mostly what happens
to whiny little shits that can't for the life of them learn to use a
kill filter and are yet magically compelled to read the posts anyway and
further bitch about crossposting while cross posting themselves.
HTH!

HAND.

So, drink any good beer lately?

All beer is good, just some is better than others.
I tried this stuff from Trader Joe's the other day. It was nasty. I much
prefer my Sierra Nevada.
What did you try?

Michael Press

"CoreyWhite said:
[...]

Look for collections of chess miniatures. I enjoyed
_100_Soviet_Chess_Miniatures_.
<http://www.chesshouse.com/Soviet_Chess_Miniatures_p/609
7.htm>

After this you need to systematically slog through the
openings memorizing the traps for the unwary.