Framework installation of 2.6 on OS X, with specified prefix

Evert Rol

Hi,

I'm trying to install Python 2.6 from source on Mac OS X.5, in its own
directory using a framework install. That goes fine, up to the point
where it wants to install the applications that come with it (eg, the
Wish shell): it tries to install things into /Applications, instead of
eg <prefix>/Applications.
Here's my configure line (the flags are there just to let it find my
own installed readline):

CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib ./configure --prefix=/sw --
enable-shared --enable-framework=/sw/Library/Frameworks --with-
readline=/sw --with-pth CC=gcc-4.2 MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5

And the last part of the output of 'make install':

.../python.exe ./scripts/BuildApplet.py \
--destroot "" \
--python=/sw/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python`test -f "/sw/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/
MacOS/Python-32" && echo "-32"` \
--output "/sw/Applications/Python 2.6/Build Applet.app" \
./scripts/BuildApplet.py
cd PythonLauncher && make install DESTDIR=
test -d "/Applications/Python 2.6" || mkdir -p "/Applications/Python
2.6"
mkdir: /Applications/Python 2.6: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install_PythonLauncher] Error 2
make: *** [frameworkinstallapps] Error 2

Is there an option on the configure line that I need to set, or
something in setup.py? Or perhaps hack the Makefile?

Evert